V-Strom Riders International
11/01/14 0552 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Service bulletin 35 - DL1000 ECU Replacement  (Read 15837 times)
Anonymous
« on: 08/10/07 2045 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

Hello, Just returned from a 2 week 9400k mile Alaska trip on the 05 Dl1000. I have always had the slight hickup at 3.5-4k rpm but on the trip it has gotten Worse!!!!!!!!!  It is still under warrent cause I bought it as a hold over last year. I took it to the shop 2day and they said they would check it out, but if they cant get it to do it to them they are going to charge me a Hr of labor!!!!  I did some searching on here and read about the service bulletin 35 and was wondering of anyone had this or know where I can view and print it out so if they say they cant find it I would have some ammo to fight with them, thanks.

davipa
10/15/05 0520 Hours
DL1k5
San Diego, CA
« REPLY #1 on: 08/10/07 2207 Hours »

I took mine in with same complaints- started out fine then got worse. after talking I had them look up service bulletin #35 (they said they receive all copies yet they did not have that one). They looked online- read it and then ordered me a new ecu. milage went from 45 to 42mpg; put in iridium plugs and milage is at 44ish. Stumbling / surging  in 3k-4k range
Anonymous
« REPLY #2 on: 08/11/07 0119 Hours »

Thanks for answering do you know where they found it at online? I have looked and cant find anything on it, Even looked on a national site and its not listed? I just know they are going to try to screw me. I also just learned that even if they cant get the problem to occur they cant charge me the hr 65 dollor labor charge casue of the Magnussan-Moss warrenty act?
johnofchar
Former VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
www Offline
« REPLY #3 on: 08/11/07 0348 Hours »

They have a dealer site with all the good stuff.

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
davipa
10/15/05 0520 Hours
DL1k5
San Diego, CA
« REPLY #4 on: 08/11/07 1709 Hours »

You do not have access to dealer site. My dealer did not charge anything to replace as under warranty. They are supposed to check TPS, TBS and valve clearance before replacing ECU yet I did mine at service interval so no charge
Kawidad
04/18/05 2305 Hours
DL1000K7
Central Coast, CA
« REPLY #5 on: 08/16/07 1739 Hours »

I don't know where you are, but here in California they can not charge you for a warranty claim even if they can not duplicate the problem.

Kawidad
2007 DL1000
Stromtrosity
« REPLY #6 on: 09/30/07 1430 Hours »

I had the same problem with my K5. Always had the hicups under 3K, but developed a misfire between 3 and 4K and an annoying stutter during accelleration in the same range. I saw the Tech Bulletin listed on another thread and called the dealer here in Ohio. They looked it up over the phone, read it and scheduled me an appointment at no cost. Right now they are waiting for a new ECU to come in and I should have my bike back in the next couple of days. I will let you know if it fixed the problem and if it cost me anything. But as of Friday there are no costs to me. The service guy said Suzuki pays parts and labor on this bulletin. Grin
Stromtrosity
« REPLY #7 on: 10/02/07 2354 Hours »

Got my K5 back from the dealer today Huh?   It fit the criteria for Service Bulletin 35 so they put in a new ECU.Total cost to yours truely is zero. There were no hassels at all. The bike runs so much better. The new ECU completly eliminated any problems above 2800RPM. I was trying to see if the misfire happened below 3000RPM like it used to do, and I did get one at about 2750RPM. Still, I'm happy.

I got a copy of the service bulletin and will try to post it when I can get it scanned. It does specify that there is no cost to the bike owner and that was my experience. It also states that the following items must be checked prior to replacing the ECU because they can cause similar symptoms:
TB synchronization
Valve clearance adjustment
Idle speed adjustment
TPS adjustment.

Hope this helps.
TomT
07/03/07 0440 Hours
Huntington Beach, CA
« REPLY #8 on: 10/08/07 0129 Hours »

I just had my 600 mile service on my 05 (bought it new in July '07) and the tech said they could not get rid of my stuttering issues so they were ordering a new ECU for me. They did the TPS, TBS, checked Valves and even used their Yosh Box.

When I first got the bike I immediately put in a Power Commander since I knew they wouldn't even think of replacing it until after the 600 miles. I removed the PCIII in the morning before I took it in and rode it around for a few hours. The issues were right back so I made sure to mention it when I dropped it off. That's what got them to start looking.

I'm hoping that Suzuki does not give them a hard time since it is all warranty work. I do want to say to anyone with these type of issues that the Power Commander immediately smoothed out my bike. So if you don't want to fight with your dealer or your bike is out of warranty then a PCIII is a lot cheaper than a new ECU.

TomT

"Since I am about as mechanically inclined as a Sea Otter (which means I can use hard things to smash open softer ones), I was delightfully surprised when the bike started and ran perfectly after the PCIII install."

Blue DL1K5 (new 7/07)
Stromtrosity
« REPLY #9 on: 10/08/07 2133 Hours »

The work gets charged to Suzuki as "Warranty" but the bike does not need to be under warranty. I bought my '05 in January of '06 and just got mine replaced at absolutely no cost. Also, I finally got the service bulletin for everyone to read if I can get it to post.

Hopefully there are two images above this line Sad
Stromtrosity
« REPLY #10 on: 10/08/07 2206 Hours »

Ah-Ha Cool
Pablo
« REPLY #11 on: 10/09/07 1552 Hours »

"optional ECM has been developed".... It could be a simple "tunned" ECU with yoshimura, nikko or suzuki tool. No different "hardware", only other adjustments. But really, I think that it could be made by dealer without change ecu.

dean daniel
04/14/10 1508 Hours
« REPLY #12 on: 04/14/10 2307 Hours »

How do you print SERVICE BULLETIN 35. Thank you, ZOOKIE
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
www Offline
« REPLY #13 on: 04/15/10 0305 Hours »

How do you print SERVICE BULLETIN 35. Thank you, ZOOKIE
Save the pics to your desktop & the print them. Or right click and click print.

Get your flags
Len
04/20/11 1249 Hours
DL 1000 K6
New Zealand
« REPLY #14 on: 04/27/11 1220 Hours »

Hi everyone.

My first post here in this forum.
However Ive already made very good use of a lot of the info in this forum to sort out my 2 or 3 week old purchase of a 06 DL1000 with 11500 km on the clock. (Then?)

Re this ECU replacement.

I have done most of the pre-checks but still have the low rev issues of rough running etc.

Can anyone tell me if this ECU replacement warranty is relevant for other countries?

I live down under in New Zealand!

Thanks in advance from the Kiwi Lad  :-)
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
www Offline
« REPLY #15 on: 04/27/11 1252 Hours »

As far as I know it is US only. But sure wouldn't hurt to check with your dealer.

Get your flags
VeeWolf
03/03/11 0242 Hours

DL1000 K11
Toronto, Canada
« REPLY #16 on: 06/24/11 2147 Hours »

The worst part about this...everybody has the same problem, the bulletin is from 2006 and yet when I brought my K11 Vee to the dealer for first service last week and asked him to check for hesitation around the 3000rpm range they said they never heard of it. The tech looked at me like  :Smiley and took my bike for service. Some 300 bucks later the oil was changed, all bolts tightened and nothing was found wrong on the FI at all (?). Apparently they took it for a test ride and it's running just fine. When riding home, I experienced the same hesitation right after warm up. How can it be that Suzuki still delivers the bike with the same problem, and, even worse, denies all knowledge? I called the dealer back the next day to complain and he said he would check with Suzuki and get back to me. Still waiting....

Other than that...I love the bike  Cheesy
SemperVee
02/15/04 2223 Hours

07 DL1000- VroomHilda
Washington
« REPLY #17 on: 06/24/11 2203 Hours »

Or you can handle it yourself and add a little fuel on the bottom end to rid yourself of the problem with a TEKA or Yosh box adjustment to the ECM.

Rider since 1973
rancur3p1c
01/22/11 1619 Hours
sv1000s
atlanta
« REPLY #18 on: 06/24/11 2228 Hours »

bet you 100$ they didn't try reprogramming the ECU before offering to sell you another one...
bucketlist
07/15/12 2231 Hours
2011 dl1000
langley british colum
« REPLY #19 on: 07/21/12 0518 Hours »

Does anyone know if this service bulletin applies in Canada. The dealer I am taking my bike to for first service "it's a 2011" said the factory ecu cannot be re-mapped Huh?. Is that true?
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013