V-Strom Riders International
10/25/14 1726 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Rick's Mirror Extenders  (Read 49944 times)
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« on: 01/01/08 1705 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

Yes it's 2013 and I'm still making them.  There is no end in sight and with my new high production capacity CNC mill I always have some ready to go.

I started making these mirror extensions at the request of others.  I didn't even know I needed them, but when I installed them on my own bike for testing I was very happy to find rear view greatly enhanced.  Also, and this is no small also, they can reduce mirror induced wind turbulence.   Myself and others have noticed decreased wind noise after installing the mirror extenders.  They are powder coated to match the stock gear and according to my wife "look like they came with the bike."

Right DL650 and both left & right for DL1000.

Left DL650 all years.  The stock left DL650 mirror post is lower than the right post.
The left DL650 extender includes a 20mm post (left) and 10mm post (right) and longers bolt.  This raises the mirror extenders to clear the clear the 07 and later switch gear.  

The DL650 left extender is the same but uses a 20 and 10 mm spacers and longer bolts.

$29 (DL1000) and $33 (DL650) per pair + postage.

You can pay via credit card or Paypal at our website http://www.adventuretech.biz/

You can also opt for a farkle mounting (e.g., ram mount ball) to be added to one or both of your mirror extenders.  They are +$5 each, so if you want just one farkle mount add $5.00, if you want two add $10.  Typical installation of the farkle rady extender is on the left, but they are interchangable and can be switched from side to side.

Below is the mirror extender with the extra room added for mounting a farkle.  Shown is a "ram-mount medium ball."  I recomend the 10 mm -1.25 threaded version.  Just tell me what size bolt hole you need (size and pitch, e.g., M10-1.25, M8 x 1.25, or 1/4-20, or ask and I will help).  The farkle mount is good for camera and light wieght items.  I recommend my Over the dash GPS mount though for GPS units.  

As always, satisfaction garranteed or your money will be promptly refunded.
« Last Edit: 02/09/13 1811 Hours by RichlandRick » Logged

RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #1 on: 01/13/08 0010 Hours »

Here are the installation instructions from the old thread.

The lower strength loctite would probably be OK IMO, but hasn't proved necessary for me.

I thought about posting some instruction for mounting them based on my epxerience thus far. Here goes:

While your mirrors are in the stock position, with the black rubber boot up the stem, hold the lower nut with a wrench and loosen the upper cinch nut with another wrench.  Holding teh lower nut with the wrench, rotate the mirror until it moves freely (freely is relative with these mirrors. They stay hard to move even with the cinch nut loose.)

Unsrew the mirrors from the stock mount using a wrench.

Place the mirror extenders on the stock mount and screw in the supplied allen screws loosely.

Note for DL650 all years: the 20mm riser goes on teh left, the 10 mm riser on the right.  No riser are used on the DL1000.

Align the extenders, pointing away from each other instead of aligned with the handlebar for maximum width (or align them with handlebar for less width.)

Tighten up the allen socket head screw snug.

Screw the mirrors into the extender tight.

Holding the lower mirror nut with a wrench rotate the mirror clockwise to the desired postion.

Snug up the upper cinch nut on the mirror (alhtough I have left mine loose with no ill effects because the are so damned tight)

Replace boot

Go ride
« Last Edit: 09/04/12 1724 Hours by RichlandRick » Logged

jdpower
« REPLY #2 on: 01/13/08 0359 Hours »

I forgot to tell you how much I like the extenders.  Thanks for making them available.

JDP
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #3 on: 01/13/08 1707 Hours »

Here are the feedback messages from the old thread.

Rick, my mirror extenders arrived over here in Oz six days after ordering them. I can't get stuff sent interstate within Australia that quickly!
I want to let you know that they have overcome a problem I was finding particularly irritating, to say nothing of the safety issue. I have long stem Napoleons with blind spot mirrors fitted. I think the Napoleons are more of a cosmetic thing because their outer edges are at about the same width as the stock mirrors.
The blind spots were right where I wanted to look to just do a normal check of the rear view and so I've always had to take a second look to see the deeper view of what's behind me, if you know what I mean. I also suffered from the "shoulders blocking the view" problem.
Not any more.
Moving the mirrors outwards that little bit means I have panoramic vision of the road behind with just a quick flick of the eyes, and it's early days yet, but I think the wind noise has been quietened down some too.
The matt black finish with the countersunk allen head looks a treat, and the "extended" version with the ball mount for electronics or phones should prove a great seller for you.
Good product, good workmanship, good service, good price.
Cheers,
Don.
Just installed Rick's mirror extenders. Got the countersunk version for the 650.
Work great! Very happy with the results. Super fast delivery also. Thanks, Rick.
Put my 650 fiddy extenders on last fri and did a three day trip to WV.

I got the left one drilled and taped for a RAM ball mount (don't have the ball yet).

These things work great, it was so nice to be able to see something other than my shoulders!!!! Fit, finish and shipping was top notch as well.

Great job!
As another satisfied user of Rick's mirror extenders, I would like to add my thanks for such a quailty product at a great price!
Just a ditto on what everyone else is saying about the mirror extenders. Got mine Friday. Very high quality, look nice, work great, fast ship, nice savings over store bought. Oh, mine were the countersunk for DL1K. Thanks Rick!
I never knew how much stuff was behind me. . .
Rick--
Mirror extenders arrived in Houston 12/24. Finally was able to get them installed today (12/28). I have several comments.
1. WOW! I can't get UPC or FEDEx ground shipments as fast as your USPS shipment. Thank you.
2. Amazing quality. My dad is a retired engineer from the old school. He took 1 look at them and said they were better than 95% of the metal working he ever saw. I place them in the 99%tile.
3. Time to install. 20 minutes. 15 minutes of the was spent fighting the dadgum brass bushing on the left mirrot. It was frozen and I had to tweak it to get the mirror to move.
4. I can see clearly now :-) Before I could only use the right mirror, now I can use them both equally.
Finally. Thank you for being out there working on these items. There are too many overpriced commercial items that quite honestly stink qualitywise.
I would like to know what items you are now making and which you have planned for 2008. I am aware of the extenders and the shelf, but I hope there are others out there and coming soon. I'm still debating on when to purchase the shelf. The bikes been in my possession less than a month and I'm still trying to figure out what I wanton it.
Thanks again for the great product. I truly hope your business takes off and you are very successful. I'm bragging about you to my friends.
Darrell

(This ones from me.)
OK folks, I suspected as much, but it has been independently verified, the mirror extenders reduce windblast from the mirrors.

It's funny how you don't notice an absence of indication. I had Chevy pick-up once that had a gas guage with a white field that slowly disapeared to nothing. No indicator light, no needle stuck on E, nothing. I ran out of gas a lot because of that absence of indication.

Similarly, at first I didn't notice that it got queiter behind my windshield after installing the mirror extenders. I thought about it only after John Merril asked if the mirror extenders reduced the wind blast from the mirrors. I suspected I might be imaging that they had, so I fronted him a set to try on his own. He confirmed it. The mirror extenders reduce wind blast from the mirrors.

Mark Johnson
11/16/03 1350 Hours

K2 DL 1000
Walnut Creek, Ca
« REPLY #4 on: 01/13/08 1830 Hours »

Got your email, Rick.

Does there seem to be a "uniform" hole and thread size for the after-market ram mount mounting bolts?

Mark Johnson

Avatar: Fish Rock Rd, meandering through the redwoods, running east/west between CA 1 in Anchor Bay, and CA 128 near Boonville, both in Mendocino County, CA.
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #5 on: 01/13/08 2221 Hours »

Yes, even outside the US, the ram mount ball is available with a 1/4-20 threaded post.  

It is listed as ram237.  If you go to their home page and enter ram237 in "RAM Mount Search" in the upper right hand search window it will take you to it.

Balls come in different sizes.    You will want to make sure that the complete set up (i.e., ball, arm, ball, and device specific cradle all match.

I search and haven't seen or heard of a metric threaded ram mount ball.

Storm Chaser
10/28/07 1040 Hours

V-Strom 650AK7
UK, Nuneaton, Warks
« REPLY #6 on: 01/26/08 1633 Hours »

Just thought I would share my experience of Rick's mirror extenders.

Fitted to 650 (K7)

Arrived fast
Great Quality
Easy installation

The verdict is easy, I can now see behind me. They work very well. For me the icing on the cake is that they appear to reduce the dreaded buffeting and some more of the wind noise.  I already have a Madstad fitted (with stock screen, fully up, fully racked back) and wear a Schuberth helmet (S1). The buffeting problem is probably as good now as it is ever going to be, without changing bikes. With clean air in front of me (ie not following a large vehicle), at motorway speeds the problem is all but gone (I would say 90% improvement with the combination of Madstad and extenders).

Thanks Rick, Gareth
Perkus
« REPLY #7 on: 02/08/08 1759 Hours »

I just got my extenders in the mail today (ehm, that is, my wife picked them up at the post office for me while I was at work and presented them to me after dinner) and whoo, what a pleasant surprise! Best thing that's happened to me all week.

I can't wait to try them on.

The paypal payment and following international mail works fine between Sweden and the US. In fact, it was quite convenient.

Since I'm an inept mechanic, I'm grateful for the instruction provided in this thread.

Thanks, Rick!  Happy
olken
03/19/04 1546 Hours

Boston, MA USA
www Offline
« REPLY #8 on: 02/09/08 0105 Hours »

I installed Rick's mirror extenders this past weekend.  I haven't ridden them yet, it snowed again today and I don't think I'll be riding until March.  So this report is preliminary.

1. They arrived in perfect shape 2 days after Rick mailed them.  That's coast-to-coast.

2. They have a quality look and feel.

3. I spray a drop of WD-40 onto all the thread surfaces to overcome drag between coating and threads, then did the install.

4. Install took about 30 seconds, zip-zap-zoom.     Wheely

5. It looks like original equipment, only cooler.   Cool

Rich

Mark Johnson
11/16/03 1350 Hours

K2 DL 1000
Walnut Creek, Ca
« REPLY #9 on: 02/18/08 0408 Hours »

Rick is one fast responder.

I've got my extenders installed (using Permatex Red thread locker).

Much better view to my rear that I'm used to.  Now the only thing I worry about is touching other mirrors when I am splitting lanes.

These are quality extenders, and at a very fair price.

Great job Rick!

Avatar: Fish Rock Rd, meandering through the redwoods, running east/west between CA 1 in Anchor Bay, and CA 128 near Boonville, both in Mendocino County, CA.
DRONE
02/23/05 0331 Hours
2003 DL1000 (R.I.P.)
Tacoma, WA, USA
« REPLY #10 on: 02/18/08 0813 Hours »

Mark used threadlocker.  Rich used WD-40.  I split the difference and used nothing.  Just cranked 'em down.  Look great.  Thanks, Rick!

My new bike's a G650 X-Country.

Not too active on this forum anymore.  If you need me, use a PM.
Mark Johnson
11/16/03 1350 Hours

K2 DL 1000
Walnut Creek, Ca
« REPLY #11 on: 02/18/08 1931 Hours »

Quote:

Mark Johnson wrote on 17.02.2008 20:08[/i]
I've got my extenders installed (using Permatex Red thread locker).

Great job Rick!

BTW, I always torque any bolt that goes into aluminum threads, and I torqued these bolts as well.  I think that I torqued them to 198 in lbs, but I don't remember (famous quote of Hilary's).

wolfshead1
« REPLY #12 on: 02/19/08 1233 Hours »

Mine are on just friction fit.Rick was prompt and fairly priced.I feel safer seeing who is comin up on my but.My XM and GPS have homes also.
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #13 on: 02/20/08 0505 Hours »

Fairly priced? Huh?   I was going for ridiculously under priced!  Huh?

Anonymous
« REPLY #14 on: 02/20/08 1744 Hours »

Just got the Extenders and they even fit with my Hippo Hands mounted on a DL650 Wee Strom.  No mods to the HH.

I only worry that in a tip-over the mirrors might be more likely to break.  Not too worried though.  Geat product at a fair price with a speedy transaction.

Thanks Rick.  Grin
--Kevin

BobMcD
10/11/04 1548 Hours
DL1000K6
Tenino, WA
« REPLY #15 on: 02/21/08 0225 Hours »

I tested Rick's mirror extenders this past weekend - perhaps most bang for the buck upgrade IMHO.  I can see behind much better and the buffeting issues are reduced almost completely.  Great product, fast delivery, easy installation!  Thank you again Rick!!

v/r
BobMcD
aharbi
02/23/07 1926 Hours
2007 DL/1000
Central Texas
« REPLY #16 on: 02/25/08 1925 Hours »

I just installed mine as well.  Work great!  Nice product, nice finnish, super easy to install. Love the RAM mount "farkle" idea.

Best Regards; Art
Xiphos
Jet Black
08/10/07 2020 Hours

DL650k6 Blackout
Bear Lake, Michigan.
www Offline
« REPLY #17 on: 02/25/08 2025 Hours »

Can someone post before and after pics of this, or at least a front on shot with the mirror extenders on?  I know it sounds stupid to consider looks, as the functionality is worth the sacrifice, but I need to see what it looks like.  Thanks.

Vita incerta, mors certissima, carpe diem!!

Fairing lowers www.freewebs.com/dlvstrom or send me a pm for info.

Former owner of '07 KLR650, '98 ZX1100, '85 V65 Magna, '84 SECA 750, '84 GS1150E, '81 FJ1100, '81 XL 250, '74 RM125, 125 Indian, 125 Hodak
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #18 on: 02/26/08 0232 Hours »

How's this

The pretty much disapear when installed.  My wife said they look like they have always been there.

revel22
« REPLY #19 on: 03/03/08 0115 Hours »

Rick, are you still there?  My email to you bounced back to me.
RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #20 on: 03/03/08 0253 Hours »

Yep, I'm still here.

The most common error when e-mailing me is leaviong out the "805" in "rickhughes805."  The rest is @hotmail.com.

revel22
« REPLY #21 on: 03/05/08 0151 Hours »

Ok, I will email you again.  But, I did use the correct address 4 different emails.  Thanks.

RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #22 on: 03/08/08 1719 Hours »

Just FYI for eveyone else, Revel22 was able to connect fine using a different email provider.  He was originally using Yahoo.  I haven't had any other problems with Yahoo, but if you have similar difficulties switching seems to do the trick.

RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #23 on: 03/08/08 1808 Hours »

Mr. Vanveen,

The message comes to you from the future.  The experiement was a succes!

You request for mirror extenders mailed from St Albert Canada on the 8th of January 2008 arrived yesterday March 7th in Richland, Washington, USA.  This almost certainly proves the theory that a black holes exist somewhere between the US and Canadian postal systems.  

In order to complete the experiement, I will mail your DL650 extenders with M8-1.25 farkle extensions to you today.  If my calculations are correct they should arrive sometime late last Janaury.

Wish me luck,
Rick

Jee
01/17/07 0628 Hours

« REPLY #24 on: 03/09/08 0649 Hours »

Thanks Rick
I did not give up hope! I guess Grin  Grin
I read once in a canadian paper that a letter was delivered 35 years after it was posted. I guess I could wait a few months.  Hope it will arrive befoe the winter Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
Thanks for the work and the patience.
Regards. John
Jee
01/17/07 0628 Hours

« REPLY #25 on: 03/09/08 0654 Hours »

and now for the "real" message.
What the heck is the problem with our postal system? The distance between Alberta and Washington is dick all. I could have delivered the stuff myself.... and be back for lunch, for Pete sake!!!!!!!!!!
No wonder the kids nowadays rely on Facebook & MSN
awh that feels good. good night!!!
TravellingStrom
07/22/06 0853 Hours

DL650 K9 Black ABS
The Land Downunder
www Offline
« REPLY #26 on: 03/09/08 1051 Hours »

Not sure about your postal system, but I know ours is sadly lacking in quality.

Anyway, ordered two of them RAM added mounts.  Only problem I will find is that my TomTom Rider fits on a RAM ball, but it is moulded to a handlebar bracket, so I will need to buy me some balls <g> to bolt in.

Cheers
TS

TravellingStrom
07/22/06 0853 Hours

DL650 K9 Black ABS
The Land Downunder
www Offline
« REPLY #27 on: 03/21/08 0511 Hours »

Hi

The package arrived after 10 days, not bad effort.  Installed them just now, LHS was great fitted perfectly.  The same cannot be said for the RHS.  This one, when the supplied hex head bolt is tight down in its groove, the bracket still moves about 1mm vertically.  I had to install a large nut under it to get it tight.  That is all I had, I will look for a smaller height washer next week.

Has any one else had this problem?  

Sat on it on centrestand and I cannot see my shoulders, so that part is good.  I will test it properly when the maintenance days are over, new plugs, TBS and valve check to still do.

TS

RichlandRick
06/12/05 2310 Hours
DL650
Richland Washington
« REPLY #28 on: 03/23/08 1555 Hours »

Travelingstrom,

I'm out of town right now, but will be back later today.  I don't think anyone has ever experienced that problem, but I think I know what it is.  I'll PM you when I get to my own computer later today.

Rick

Jee
01/17/07 0628 Hours

« REPLY #29 on: 03/25/08 2249 Hours »

Thanks Rick
They arrived 9 days after you sent them.
Guess the US Postal Service actually gives service...  Grin

See picture.
Now for another idea that I had with these babies.... stay tuned. Grin  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013