V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 1913 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: « 1 2 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: TB air screws  (Read 10757 times)
catfish
« REPLY #30 on: 06/03/09 1422 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

The reason ether is used for this is that although it burns real easy, it also burns cold and fast.
You might lose an eyebrow but it's unlikely to hospitalize you. (Wear eye protection).

Personal harm probably should have been higher on my concern list. I was actually more worried about my bike! I'll get the throttle bodies off and clean the seal areas in the next day or so.

catfish
« REPLY #31 on: 06/05/09 1546 Hours »

I found a longer nozzle tube for my can of starting fluid, sprayed around the TB connections and the only place it caused a slight rpm increase was around the front of the front TB boot, so must have been some getting in the intake. I can't explain the rpm increase around the rear boot previously. In any case, I adjusted, checked and rechecked the throttle plate alignment on my old TBs (not having done this before) and put them back on to see if it changed anything. Checked TPS and TBS, no vacuum leaks, bike still has issues in the 3-4k rpm range (bike in neutral, slowly adding throttle ~3000 rpm it jumps up to ~4000rpm, and holding steady throttle ~3000rpm causes rpms to bounce back and forth from 3000-3400rpm). On the road this morning the bike didn't demonstrate any bad symptoms though, just a slight surge/pulse around 3000rpm when decelerating. I'm tired of worrying about it for now and just want to ride. Maybe it really is just lean burning stuff, but the Yosh box didn't help much. I definitely hear popping at idle and more at 3000rpm.
johnofchar
Deceased VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #32 on: 06/05/09 1624 Hours »

Have you checked your valves?

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
Advertisement

catfish
« REPLY #33 on: 06/05/09 1734 Hours »

Thats next on my list but I'm going to take it to a dealer to do it. 12k miles now, so sometime this summer hopefully.
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #34 on: 06/05/09 2046 Hours »

I checked my K9 TB mechanical adjustment of the primary valves this afternoon and from as close as I can measure it we have been doing it right. Both valves are adjusted equal.

Get your flags
catfish
« REPLY #35 on: 06/08/09 1446 Hours »

Thanks for checking the adjustment of your primary valves John. It helps me rule that out as a possible cause of the problems I'm having. I'm running a bottle of Techron through now cause I haven't tried that yet. When I had the TBs off I did notice some buildup on the intake valves, but I doubt that has anything to do with the surging.
catfish
« REPLY #36 on: 07/17/09 1726 Hours »

Update: I took my 650k7 to a dealer to do the big maintenance interval and check the valves and see if they could figure out the surge. The valves were ok but the TBs were an inch off (though my homemade manometer at home said they were even...hmmm). When I got it back it was idling smoother and after riding it several days I thought the surge was improved but not gone. The rough spot around 4k rpm was improved but the one around 3k was still there. Then I felt like it and the idle got worse again. This coincided with a new tank of 89 octane (I usually run 87, but I just wanted to see if 89 helped any) and also higher temperatures (90s). Then I went on an 1100 mile trip and it almost seemed like some tanks of gas caused the bike to run smoother than others, though I was also doing 80-85mph most of the time and I wasn't at 3-4k rpm enough to truly conclude anything. Anyway, I think getting the TBs synched helped a little. The thought I'm going with now is that I really need to ride another 650 before I worry any more about it because they all may do it to an extent, but 95% of my riding is in heavy traffic and I may just notice it more because of that (on the highway its not an issue). I expect that when it cools down some it will improve (and also certain gases may make it run rougher?) Basically, loading her up and taking her on long trips makes me so content with the bike I forget any negative issues I may have with it. Except for the stock seat!
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #37 on: 07/17/09 1806 Hours »

Here is a copy of a paragraph from my wee thread.

"Played with the SDS this morning & adjusted the TBS & TPS. There appears to be a little bit of difference when doing the TB sync with or without the SDS. On my K9 this appears to be about 0.5 on my twinmax. What 0.5 on the twinmax amounts to in inches of mercury I can't say. Mercury sticks are loaned out. I checked this by first doing the sync with SDS, shutting bike down & disconnecting SDS, starting back up and reading twinmax, then shutting down and hooking the SDS back up and reading again. Both times the SDS was hooked up the reading was zero (no mis-balance) and with disconnected about 0.5 in the forward cylinders favor. When I had the SDS disconnected I also put it in dealer mode which made no difference in the 0.5 off reading. My sync was out about 3.0 on the twinmax when starting. I adjusted both front & rear TB air screws to obtain a good sync. I cannot get to the front screw without moving the radiator foward. The sync maintained within 1.0 up & down through the rev range."

Get your flags
catfish
« REPLY #38 on: 07/17/09 1916 Hours »

Thanks John. That could explain the difference in the readings since I definitely wasn't using an SDS tool and the dealer was. At least I hope they were.
greywolf
Godspeed dear Grewolf
Former Member
01/31/06 0643 Hours

DL650AL2
Evanston IL USA
www Offline
« REPLY #39 on: 07/17/09 2024 Hours »

I finally had a TBS done at 41,118 miles. The tech said it was 2" off. Before it was done, a homemade manometer couldn't contain the oil for more than a few seconds of idling. Afterward, the oil would still head for the top but more slowly. Rev the engine and it would head in the other direction. Anyhow, the idle is a little smoother and the gas mileage a little better but not really a big difference. I also had one body screw that was only finger tight and the rear tank screw was only started for my $100. I may have it done in another 40,000 miles but I'm bringing it in with the plastic removed.

Pat
Nicknames I use to lessen typing - Vee=2002 - 2012 DL1000s, Veek=2014-2016 DL1000As, Wee=2004-2011 DL650s, Glee=2012-2016 DL650As
catfish
« REPLY #40 on: 07/18/09 1729 Hours »

I finally had a TBS done at 41,118 miles. The tech said it was 2" off. Before it was done, a homemade manometer couldn't contain the oil for more than a few seconds of idling. Afterward, the oil would still head for the top but more slowly. Rev the engine and it would head in the other direction. Anyhow, the idle is a little smoother and the gas mileage a little better but not really a big difference. I also had one body screw that was only finger tight and the rear tank screw was only started for my $100. I may have it done in another 40,000 miles but I'm bringing it in with the plastic removed.

I agree with you on two things. The TBS smoothed things out a little but didn't have as big a difference as I would have hoped after reading others' reports. And I'm with you on having the plastics off before taking it in...labor wise I figure I paid them $80 just for that, if not more based on the final bill...geez!
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #41 on: 07/18/09 1734 Hours »

Just an opinion, but a TBS has a lot more effect on the vee than on the wee.

Get your flags
Pages: « 1 2 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013