V-Strom Riders International
10/22/14 1522 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Avon Distanzia User Reports  (Read 47010 times)
dogpuf
08/13/09 1355 Hours

DL1000 K2 - Old Blue
York, Yorkshire, UK
« REPLY #60 on: 08/24/09 1913 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

My Vee was pre owned when I bought it and it came with a strange mix of an Avon Distanzia on the front and a Tourance XP on the back. It handles really well with this pairing and both tyres have plenty of life so I am going to persevere with this 'Odd Couple' until next year. I had a new pair of Avon Distanzia's on my Tiger 955i and it transformed the ride of that bike - I chose them because that type of tyre won the comparison test in the 'Bike' magazine as best dual purpose tyre. I will probably go all Avon's when the Tourance wears out.

My Bike, V-STROM DL1000K2 with GPR Grand Prix Evo Cans, Piper Cross Air Filter, PC III -tailored map, MRA Vario Screen, Corbin Seat, Scotoiler, Touratech Chainguard & handlebar brace, Heated Grips, JackUp dogbones, 10mm drop thru Yoke, Bagster,
Oldschooler
10/25/06 2125 Hours
Longwood, Fl (USA)
« REPLY #61 on: 09/06/09 2040 Hours »

I put a set on my DL650 at a little over 6K. I have just a tick over 14K now and they look very good. The back is a little squared and it's only a hair from the wear bars in the center. I could get another 1K out of them but I'm about to go on a 2k + trip and don't want to have to put a new tire on it while traveling. I have to say I really liked mine. I didn't really notice a big difference off road as far as the rear goes, but the front! The front compared to the stock Trail Wing was noticeable, mostly in the softer sand. On the road I could scrape pegs with the stock Trail Wings but for some reason I seldom pushed the Distansia's that hard. I did enter a corner a little faster than I should have once and I cranked it waaaaay over, gritted my teeth and just picked as smooth a line as I could and the bike just rolled right on around. No give, slip, or stutter from the Distanzia's at all. 8K + miles out of the rear! Ya gotta love that!

http://public.fotki.com/FLjim/

There's a reason helmets arent made of bone !
DC
Mondo Enduro Wannabe..
09/13/07 2120 Hours

DL650 K5 Red, 40,000m
Surrey, England
www Offline
« REPLY #62 on: 07/08/10 1911 Hours »

I recently had the chance to road test a thou with Distanzias fitted to front and rear. (cheers Rosstrom). They felt absolutely great in the twisties, great on the odd bit of loose gravel down the centre line of the road. Great when hard on the brakes. All this in the dry, but there was the odd occasion of water running across the road from the soiled banks either side. Not once did they let go or give a twitch.

I did the last UK run to Derby with a spanking new rear Distanzia and a well used Trail wing front.(7500 miles old). The rear felt great for the whole trip as expected, the front is very skittish and feels vague. Sort of as if the rubber has hardened and is greatly reducing the feedback on what is going on. Can't wait to have a matching set of Avon's.

So Mark, since 2008, have you had Distazia's all the time?  When I first got the Strom I lived with the Trailwings Battlewings that came with, but hated them.  Last year I switched to the Tourance EXP's.  I really liked these, and in the Alps they gave me great feedback and confidence.  maybe too much sometimes   Wink  But you have to keep trying new avenues and so today I had a new set of Distanzia's fitted.  After talking with you and Ayman, they seemed liked a good prospect.

Now I know the running in blah blah blah, but honestly, from the minute I left the garage, the bike felt vague, the front wobbly and I just thought "What the heck have I done?"!  Taking the silicone coating in to account, I have never had new tyres feel that awful before.

Being a nice warm sunny afternoon, 27C, I decided to do a 60mile ride, about 10mi through London, 30mi @85mph on the duel carraigeway and 20mi on smaller A-roads and some twisty B's for good measure.  Now they are starting to bite.  But the front still seems very unstable, even in a straight line.

On my EXP's, I had Rear@36, Front@33.   And I now this gave me less milage on the rear (I got about 7K miles), it just gave me confidence.   The shop today put the Distanzia's at Rear@39, Front@36.  This is as recommended on Avon's website.

What are/were you running yours at?   If it feels this vague in the warm sunshine, I am worried about a cold cloudy day, let alone in the wet   Anxious

« Last Edit: 07/09/10 1205 Hours by DC » Logged

Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #63 on: 07/09/10 1743 Hours »

DC are you running H or V rated, also they should be "made in England"? Guess it shouldn't matter but interested to know.

Facts, I found running 39 rear and 36 front to be spot on. But also running rear preload at full (but backed off to the last click), rear rebound at the quarter passed the H (hard) position. Front preload with two lines showing above.

Reckon we are about similar size/weight so check your suspension settings. Your about as hard a rider as me when the mist sets in too  Thumbs Up

Now as for the running in, when I tried Rosstrom's I thought they where new. Hell no, they had about 2k miles of use under them iirc.
Mine took about 300 to 400 to really feel good under foot. After that it was nothing short of impressive. When you hit loose(ish) gravel on a bend at speed you feel a slight drift from the rear but certainly not a butt clenching moment. They seem pretty controlled and no drama of just letting go and biting again. Just gently moves and then regains composure. Front has never yet (touch wood) been an issue of any kind. But there is quite a rounded profile on the front and it does tend to want to drop in quicker than the Trailwings I had on from OE.
Klaus was running Battlewings and remember how hard we whent at it? These Avon's are pretty good excellent on a 650 imo.

Fwiw, there seems to be no abnormal wear pattern emerging on either front or rear with approx a little over 5k miles on them.

As for riding in the wet, all tyres imho suck cos no way am I going to test em anywhere near what I would in the dry.

For now take it easy and get them well bedded in, set your suspension up if needed and let's chat at the AGM.  Beer

Lessons learned; When there's only two left, wait till you receive yours before letting a buddy in on the deal ; )
I'd normally be in the garage around now.
John B-Strom
02/07/10 0558 Hours
K9 DL650
Langley, B.C., Canada
« REPLY #64 on: 02/24/11 0810 Hours »

On the Avon web site if you use their "what fits my bike" system on the right side the Wee comes up with the Distanzia for the front but gives the option of either the Distanzia or the Storm2 Ultra for the rear.

Has anyone any experience with the Storm2? 

I have a year old 2009 with close to 21000km and when I had the bike serviced the report was that "you'll need to replace both before riding season starts."  I've been riding all year in everything but snow pretty close to exclusively on tarmac (except when the Dept. of No Fun is busy 'fixing' the roads - taking the twisties out).  Seems everyone has a favourite or one they stay away from.  I've no complaints about the TW's she came with but I'm always a bit suspicious that OEM rubber is a quality/price compromise of some sort.

Anyone can make a mistake.  To really scr** up you just need a computer!
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #65 on: 02/25/11 0250 Hours »

By the time the V-Strom was launched in 2002 the TW was really ok. Now we have 2011, meanwhile there are plenty tires offering a better quality / price ratio. Actually I would not know many tires I wouldn't prefer over the TW. If you had been happy with it, then you will be pleasantly surprised about almost anything else I guess.

There is a comment about the Storm in post no. 5
http://gsri.info/forum/board1-technical-area/board68-tires/board70-tire-knowledge-base/246-choosing-the-right-tire/

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR
John B-Strom
02/07/10 0558 Hours
K9 DL650
Langley, B.C., Canada
« REPLY #66 on: 02/26/11 0454 Hours »

Thanks for the input, Peter, I wish I could just get two people to agree!  :Smiley  I was talking to two of my buddies in the last few days.  Each had issues with the others preferred tire.

Anyone can make a mistake.  To really scr** up you just need a computer!
Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #67 on: 04/26/11 1932 Hours »

At last an update on the Distanzias I have.

Rear is 1mm at best from the wear indicators and 3mm from baldness @ 6090 miles.
Based on original tread depth from new, it works out at 1200 miles per mm. So maybe full life of this tyre should be nearer 7300 miles for me.

Riding has been approx 60% highway and 40 country roads. A mix of solo with luggage and solo without.

However other than a squared off profile now, the tyre has no abnormal wear patterns. It has performed great over it's entirety.

Front is 3.1mm from wear indicators at 5591 miles and other than looking like a part worn tyre, it like the rear, has no cupping, feathering etc. Wear pattern looks fine. Still has plenty of feel to it. Approx 2300 miles per mm.
 I do think it is likely to "go off" before it reaches the wear limit indicators. Maybe I will find out, maybe I won't.

There seems little point in buying a rear to get more life out of the front. I prefer having matched tyres as my only vice. Another rear will mean a front is due when there will still be plenty of life in a new rear.
That would be fine but rather than stay with the Distanzias, I plan to try something else.

Would I use Distanzias again? Yes.
 In fact depending on availability and price of the next tyre brand I choose, it may well be back to a pair of Distanzias.

Lessons learned; When there's only two left, wait till you receive yours before letting a buddy in on the deal ; )
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #68 on: 04/27/11 0159 Hours »

Looks good, both tires did wear very well for you. There should be little performance degradation only.

Peter
Phat Twin
08/07/10 1200 Hours

05' DL1000
Nashua, NH
« REPLY #69 on: 05/04/11 0235 Hours »

At last an update on the Distanzias I have.

Would I use Distanzias again? Yes.
 In fact depending on availability and price of the next tyre brand I choose, it may well be back to a pair of Distanzias.

How is the handling in wet weather conditions?  Is it an improvement over the previous versions of the tire?  I have already ordered a set from the dealer, just waiting for them to come in.  Any input would be great!

Thanks!
 Smiley
Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #70 on: 05/05/11 2003 Hours »

How is the handling in wet weather conditions?  Is it an improvement over the previous versions of the tire?  I have already ordered a set from the dealer, just waiting for them to come in.  Any input would be great!

Thanks!
 Smiley

Hi PT

Your asking the wrong person on wet weather handling. I treat em like any other tyre in the wet, with a whole load of resepct  Grin .
 I ride in the wet but never push enough to find when they slide etc. So can't help you there. Other than that, they have been nothing short of excellent on grip and feel in the dry. Compared to the OE Trail wings, the Distanzias never seemed to lose any of their performance as they aged with miles.

One thing though, from new that tread depth is deep on the blocks, so they do take a while to "run in" and to warm up. So don't get too enthusiastic for the first few trips out on cold tyres  Thumbs Up

DC
Mondo Enduro Wannabe..
09/13/07 2120 Hours

DL650 K5 Red, 40,000m
Surrey, England
www Offline
« REPLY #71 on: 05/10/11 0753 Hours »

Strongly agree with Preload...

grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #72 on: 07/20/11 1556 Hours »

I mounted a pair of Avon Distanzias last year and after only 6200 miles on them, while there is plenty of tread left, the front has worn strangely and I am replacing both tires with some Pirellis.  I thought these tires would last much longer and not have any issues, I'm disappointed by what I found.  No more Avon D's for me.
Tom

« Last Edit: 07/21/11 0312 Hours by grebmrof » Logged
Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #73 on: 07/20/11 1628 Hours »

Any ideas on the cause of that Tom?

grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #74 on: 07/20/11 1714 Hours »

I really at am a loss to explain it, tire pressure has always been at Suz recommended levels, even the suspension set-up is as the bike came - which seems fine to me.  I measured the depth of the rear tire (which has flattened a bit - but not so much as to cause any handling issues) to the wear bar and it is at 1mm and 3mm to the carcass of the tire.  On the front, the depth varies depending on where it is measured - but about the same amount as the rear.  The front has not hit the wear bars as yet.  Very bizarre wear...but the new Pirelli Scorpion Trails should feel good.  Funny, I must be a real numb-butt because I didn't notice any adverse handling with these bumpy front tires...  I did expect the tires to have a much longer life than these did.  I do think it is prudent to get rid of them after they exhibit this sort of wear "pattern".  Bizarre...
Tom
« Last Edit: 07/21/11 0310 Hours by grebmrof » Logged
Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #75 on: 07/20/11 1738 Hours »

Your wear rate seems very close to mine for a similar mileage. Admittedly I hoped for more too. But then I was comparing to the OE Trailwings and I ran the T/Ws right down to the wear bar. So maybe not a good comparison. Also the Distanzias had a much harder life then my OE tyres. The T/Ws had running in, getting used to the bike, not as much highway, high mileage, higher speed slabbing etc. So I guess the mileage may be a realistic amount after all, for the use I gave them.

Will be interesting to hear peoples opinions on what caused that sort of blistering on your front though.
I did a search and closest I get is a manf defect of solvents released from the compound, not sold on that reason so far.

Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #76 on: 07/21/11 0224 Hours »

I never saw this in such a regular pattern! I'd send the pic to Avon for comment.

Remote diagnosis is always difficult, possible are:
1. a manufacturing defect
2. overheating through low air pressure
3. overheating from exceeding the speed limit of the tire

- If the bubbles are everywhere on thread area it is more likely no. 1.
- If there are darker shadows on the inside of the tire, no. 2 would be likely the cause
- If it is possible to depress the bubbles very easily, my bet was on no. 3, but a combination with no. 1 is also possible.

Peter
grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #77 on: 07/21/11 0302 Hours »

These are lumps of rubber, not bubbles under the surface of the tire, the tires wore down this way.  They go completely around the circumference of the tire, I think some of the bumps are slightly larger and higher than others, but not sure.  These Distanzias went on my bike at 8500 miles, the distance my stock tires went - which I thought was pretty respectable.  The 6200 miles the Avons lasted is pitiful.  The bike has been ridden the same way with all miles by the same rider, me.  Very little continuous expressway riding, mostly back road running.  I use my Strom as a street bike and don't use it off road.  Thanks for the thoughts, but I'm not going to waste my time chasing Avon to bitch about their tire, no doubt they'd have some excuse why this happened.  I'll just take my money and spend it on some other manufacturer's tires - as I've done for this changeover, to Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires - we'll see how they wear and how long they last.
« Last Edit: 07/21/11 0313 Hours by grebmrof » Logged
grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #78 on: 07/21/11 1440 Hours »

OK, OK, OK, I thought more about this and decided that it would be a good idea to talk to Avon.  So I called the US reps for Avon (Mickey Thompson Tire) and have sent them a detailed email about the tires, how ridden, etc, etc along with the above photo of the front tire.  Their first reaction on the phone was that I had improperly inflated the tires - I ran 33 front 41 rear, which is what Suzuki recommended for the Bridgestones that the bike came originally with.  So, we'll see what their written response is to my query.
Tom
realshelby
09/28/09 1955 Hours

'12 '04 Wee, '03 Vee
Houston, Tx
« REPLY #79 on: 07/21/11 1459 Hours »

I ran 33 front 41 rear, which is what Suzuki recommended for the Bridgestones that the bike came originally with. 

My first instinct when I saw the pictures was under inflation. This causes tread squirm which definately can cause the wear shown. Since it is symetrical it tends to rule out balance or out of round tire issues. 33 psi for a front tire on pavement seems low to me. Even though Suzuki "recommends" that pressure it may be a compromise for on/off highway service.

WERKS modified clutch baskets available HERE
Questions about clutch basket modifications? E-mail Terry here:  info@werksparts.com
grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #80 on: 07/21/11 1720 Hours »

Well realshelby you get the award for hitting the nail on the head - this is what the Avon people said a minute after I called them and then followed-up in an email to me...the correct air pressure should have been 36 front, 39 rear for the 650 VStrom, not 33/41 as Suzuki said for the Bridgestones that came with the bike.  Here is my note to Avon, their response and mine back to them:

Initial note to Avon - Shaun Sparks at Mickey Thompson Tires, Technical Support (ssparks@mickeythompsontires.com)

Hi,
I spoke with you a short while ago regarding a pair of Avon Distanzia motorcycle tires that I purchased in July, '08 from Motorcycle Pro Shop for my '06 Suzuki DL650.  The tires were installed on the bike in Sept, '08 at 8,500 miles, the wear on the front tire as shown in the photograph is as of today with the odometer on the bike reading 14,700 miles.  A total of 6,200 miles were put on these tires, all on-road condition, all with the same solo rider, no passenger and with little or no additional weight of luggage.  The specifics of the tires are:
Front:  110/80HR19  (AT1U43807)
Rear:  150/70HR17  (ATCX43807)
Tire pressure was set at 33 front, 41 rear.  Both tires are 1mm from the top of the wear bar and approximately 3mm from the bottom of the tread.  The front tire, as you can see from the photograph, has a series of bumps completely around the circumference of the tire, the rear tire has flattened in the center.
The stock tires that Suzuki supplied (Bridgestone Trailwing) lasted 8,500 miles before needing to be replaced, I expected at least that level of life expectancy and without any unusual wear patterns.  
I would appreciate your comments as well as you submitting this email/photograph to your development engineers for their comments on this situation.
Sincerely,

The response back was from Pete McNally, M/C Technical Products Manager at Avon UK, his note read:

Hi Tom,
Sorry you have had an issue. I have never seen a Distanzia with this wear before. It appears that the tyres have been flexing too much in the centre. When the tyre rotates, the front of the blocks fold out of the way and the rear of the block takes the load and hence wears more. Our recommended pressures for you motorcycle are 36psi front and 39psi rear. I think that the fact you ran the front at 33psi has likely contributed to this. Sorry about that.
Best regards,

...and finally my thank you back to them:

Hi Shaun,
Thanks for your prompt response to my note.  Who would have ever thought just 3# of underinflation could cause such an unusual wear pattern in my front Distanzia tire?  I guess from your comments I must be the first rider to have ever underinflated my Distanzia and experienced this sort of wear.  Well you sure learn something new everyday, don't you?  
Thanks again for your prompt response and your splendid products.  I will pass along your insights to the VStrom forum members, I am sure they will find it most interesting and informative.  Shaun, please forward my comments to Pete McNally at Avon, thank you.
Best regards,

So there you have it folks, check with the manufacturer for the right tire pressure otherwise you to may get some unusual wear with your tires...
« Last Edit: 07/21/11 1816 Hours by grebmrof » Logged
vstrom alan
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
08/14/05 1858 Hours
DL650K5
California
« REPLY #81 on: 07/21/11 1831 Hours »

So there you have it folks, check with the manufacturer for the right tire pressure otherwise you to may get some unusual wear on your tires...

Thanks for this thread Tom.

I had already been aware that the vehicle mfr's pressure spec would not apply to all non-OE tires, and have been appalled that the pressure spec for each tire application is not readily available from the tire manufactures, like on their website.
Avon has cleverly said the 3 psi difference has contributed to the issue, but did not say it was the sole problem.
Too bad Avon did not step up more to try to take care of you. I expect many people seeing your picture and Avon's response will simply avoid this tire.

I too have experience shortened tire life and more uneven wear on other tires when using vehicle mfr's spec. Now I try to fine tune the pressure by a combination of methods.  I look for a 10% pressure difference in pressure from cold to hot readings. Also I have noticed in general tires last longer when pressure is increased over spec. At a certain higher pressure the front tire will start skittering and sliding when hitting a little ripple in a turn. I lower the pressure just enough to avoid this effect, so the bike "rails."
Hopefully  the tires I purchase are not so sensitive to being underinflated by 3 psi!

Formerly owned:
1988 BMW R100GS, 1979 Yamaha Daytona Special, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1981 Honda GL500 Interstate, 1981 Kawasaki KZ750, 1974 Honda CB360, 1979 Honda XL185
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #82 on: 07/22/11 0305 Hours »

Hard to say, many other factors can contribute to undesired tire wear. Things like fork flex, not the best dampening on the DL650 forks, a tire pressure gauge which displays 1 psi too little adds up to 4 psi lack of pressure, rough road surfaces in that area, etc. ... That's why I display since years wear pictures from my tires. They can be read like a book.

To my knowledge Suzuki and BMW are the only companies who recommend 2,3 bar = 33 psi for the front. I think this is wrong, but who am I.

I also know there are differences in between the tires. The Tourance does not react badly to 33 psi, except a slightly vague feeling on the front, on the other hand the Continental TA at 33 psi starts cupping immediately. Fact to me is, on modern bikes and with the modern tires maintaining the accurate tire pressure is important. Better a bit too high, but not too low.

Great thanks to Tom for showing us his tire and sharing his experience!

Peter
grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #83 on: 07/24/11 2150 Hours »

After my tire wear experience with the Avons, as I mentioned before, I purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires for my DL650.  With the response I received from Avon regarding the tire pressure I ran in the Avons, I thought it best to contact Pirelli and ask them their recommendations on pressure.  Thought forum members might find their response interesting:

Hello,
Please note one should always inflate tires to the correct tire pressure as indicated in the owner's manual.  However, Pirelli has found the air pressure suggestions listed below or in our brochure will improve mileage and customer satisfaction. Check cold inflation pressure frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling.  Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and the driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire pressure will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure due to an over loaded/under inflated operating situation.
RECOMMENDED MOTORCYCLE TIRE PRESSURE BASED ON LOAD (front/rear)
Solo:  32-34/36-38
2 up:  34-36/38-40
2 up w/load:  36-42/40-42
We always suggest that running higher pressures (up to the max as stated on the sidewall) will increase the life of the tire with no adverse effects.  Thanks for the question and have a great day.
NA Pirelli Moto Consumer Affairs
(800)747-3554

So there you have it, I thought Avon users might want to read the response on tire pressure I received from Pirelli - vs the response from Avon to my front tire wear problem.  Any comments or thoughts from anyone?
Tom
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #84 on: 07/25/11 0852 Hours »

At first the answer by Pirelli suggests they are giving detail information which pressure to use under various conditions. Then they add:

We always suggest that running higher pressures (up to the max as stated on the sidewall) will increase the life of the tire with no adverse effects.

which blurs they just said before. However, I'd sign the quoted sentence. The detail data are what you get from almost everyone. The quoted sentence info is what you get from most out of practice.

If however lack of 3 psi alone does explain such wear pattern ... ?
« Last Edit: 07/25/11 0855 Hours by Peter » Logged

Peter
grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #85 on: 07/25/11 1108 Hours »

The tire pressure ranges and associated qualifiers from Pirelli were somewhat what I would have expected them to provide.  I though the contrast between their response for their tires vs what Avon's response was for their Distanzias was very interesting.  We'll see how the Pirellis wear and feel, using their pressure recommendations, of course.  

I'm sure you've guessed that I think the Avon response was a excuse, not a definitive answer - especially since they stated: "I have never seen a Distanzia with this wear before."  - to which I should have said, "oh really?  You've never seen this sort of wear before, but you know that it was caused by 3# underinflation?  Wow, I am impressed with the depth of your insights!"

Ride safely!
Tom
« Last Edit: 07/25/11 1435 Hours by grebmrof » Logged
Preload
04/30/05 0723 Hours

DL650K5 Poverty model
North East UK
www Offline
« REPLY #86 on: 07/25/11 1949 Hours »

It would be worth buying / borrowing another tyre pressure gauge too Tom. Just to see if your gauge holds good results against another.

I checked the Continentall site for pressure recommendations on "their" tyres. They say we should follow the vehicle manufacturers advice. Yet do also state they recommend that we run at the highest pressure stated from Suzuki. + plenty more info.

Conti advice link

grebmrof
05/31/09 1057 Hours
« REPLY #87 on: 07/26/11 0309 Hours »

Yes good idea - I've occasionally benchmarked my guages against a dial guage I have, all are falling within a fraction of a pound of each other.  Since they all read so close, I've felt confident that they are giving me accurate readings.  My compressor is always handy when checking my tire pressures...so I feel pretty good that I have been running on the pressures I think I have...it is just too bad that the Avons appear to be so pressure sensitive.  The shop that mounted my new Pirellis, mentioned that they thought Avons were VERY sensitive to tire pressure levels and also thought that the bizarre wear pattern on my front Distanzia was caused by low pressure.  So my Pirellis are ready to go!
Thanks for all of the comments on this twist to the Distanzia thread.
Tom
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #88 on: 07/26/11 0421 Hours »

We have to thank for bringing this up! I had never seen anything like this before.

Peter
spidrgr
08/10/06 2055 Hours
near Montreal
« REPLY #89 on: 07/26/11 1734 Hours »

Looks like a lot of very hard braking on the front wheel only. Maybe, combined with very hot and consistent weather. Is your front wheel running freely or is there a resistance?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013