V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 2213 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: How can I make a de-restricter for my DL1000?  (Read 82619 times)
johnofchar
Deceased VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« on: 07/24/09 2039 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

The making of a De-Restrictor for the DL1000:

This de-restricter will work with any FI reprogramming. However, the de-restricter should be installed before any dyno runs are make for FI tuning purposes.

The de-restricter allows the V-Strom to develop full power in 5th and 6th gears, and also in 2nd and 3rd gears for the models in some other markets. The peak difference it makes is 10-30 HP increase for 5th and 6th gear.

On the right side of the Strom, behind the clutch, there are 6 resistors (protected by a layer of silicone) connected with a 7-step switch. The total of these components is called the Gear Position Sensor. According to the gear chosen, the resistors will make the ECU (bikes computer) "see" different resistor values which relate to what gear is engaged.

1st = 560 Ohm
N = connected to ground
2nd = 820 Ohm
3rd = 1.5 K Ohm
4th = 2.7 K Ohm
5th = 6.9 K Ohm
6th = 15 K Ohm

Knowing that 1st and 4th gear are not restricted, we can play around with the ohm values, and create an add-on for allocating an unrestricted map to gears which are associated with restricted maps. Knowing the 4th gear is not restricted, we can fool the ECU into thinking it is always using the 4th gear. The following diagram is what is called a SMART de-restricter. This allows a proper neutral signal to be applied to the ECU when in neutral.

With a suitable circuit we can achieve this goal:

Male connector: 09900-28710-004 Pack of 5 each $11
Female connector: 09900-28710-005 Pack of 5 each $5
Male Pin and weather seals: 09900-28710-003 Pack of 50 each $28
Female Pin and weather seals: 09900-28710-002 Pack of 50 each $30

Connectors form Eastern Beaver (3P090WP-MT Connector Set): http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

Switchable version.

Assembly:

Parts.

Soldered. Careful with the transistor, it can't take a lot of heat.

Shrinked.

Pinned.

Done. A little black silicone sealant inside large shrink to waterproof.

Installed.

How it works:

The important piece in the circuit is the 2.7 k ohm resistor. The transistor is used to switch this ohm value to be used for all gears. Hence FI will engage the map of the 4th gear in all gears, except neutral. The second resistor will maintain proper operation of the FI control light.

Advantage:
* More than 10 hp power gain in upper 2 gears.
* Better midrange response for EU models.

Disadvantage:
* The overdrive light is disengaged
* I would recommend a steering damper above 115 MPH.

Attention:
Careful with commercially sold de-restricter. Many of them contain only one resistor. This will make the FI control light to function erratically.

Note: The circuit is by courtesy of Frank Homann. The circuit and all technical data above are given to best knowledge, and according to the current technical standard of the DL1000 V-Strom. However, either the author of the circuit nor me will take any responsibility for eventual damage from using this information.

Have fun with your Strom!

Author: Peter Modified by JW

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags

Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013