V-Strom Riders International
07/23/14 0342 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Seat height of V-Strom 650  (Read 2708 times)
Anonymous
« on: 10/15/06 0741 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

I have been thinking about selling my KLR650 and buying the 650 V-Strom.  The seat height on the KLR is about 35 inches.   Since I am vertically challenged I wound up buying a Corbin dished seat for the KLR which put it about 1 1/2 inches lower or 33 1/2 inches seat height.  I was able to  get the balls of both feet on the ground and felt pretty comfortable with this.  The V-Strom on the other hand has about a 32 inch seat height and I have been wondering if I would  have much trouble considering that I was ok with the 33.5 inches on the KLR?  In reading many of the post on this forum, I am finding people who are several inches taller than me who are having a lot of trouble with not being able to get their feet on the ground with this bike.   I'm 5' 7" if I stretch real hard and my inseam is around 30 inches.  As long as I can get the balls of my feet on the ground I'm ok.  Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #1 on: 10/15/06 0813 Hours »

Ugadog, many of these post exist because new owners often are not familiar with a tall bike. They may come from a cruiser, or even worse - from a Harley  Tongue .

I think you will be just ok reaching the ground, and since you are used to taller bikes you will probably get adjusted to the 650 very soon. There are also some possibilities to shred an inch or two without compromise on comfort. See http://vstrom.info/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=81&artlang=en for some inspiration.

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR
jorge
11/06/04 0231 Hours

DL1000K3
Branchburg NJ
« REPLY #2 on: 10/15/06 1401 Hours »

Welcome 'dog you will find yourself reading and reading like a mad man... so best to get started... as for the hieght thing if you can ride the KLR you can fit the wee strom. Not gonna talk you outta sellin the KLR because they are very different bikes and if you can have only one then it depends on the riding you do and the KLR is not in the same league as the wee on the road...

update your CP so others can see what state you live in at least you might strike up some one local who will let you see the 650 up close and even test ride it... that will make your decision easier...

Welcome to the forum and have fun reading! Jorge.

Member of The Secret Society of Yellow Strom Owners
*Support the Revolution*
"Often Wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes"
Terrier_Terror
10/15/06 0011 Hours

2006 650 Blue
Milford, NH USA
« REPLY #3 on: 10/22/06 2040 Hours »

Quote:

ugadog wrote on 15.10.2006 02:41[/i]
Since I am vertically challenged I wound up buying a Corbin dished seat for the KLR which put it about 1 1/2 inches lower or 33 1/2 inches seat height.  I was able to  get the balls of both feet on the ground and felt pretty comfortable with this.  The V-Strom on the other hand has about a 32 inch seat height and I have been wondering if I would  have much trouble considering that I was ok with the 33.5 inches on the KLR?   I'm 5' 7" if I stretch real hard and my inseam is around 30 inches.  As long as I can get the balls of my feet on the ground I'm ok.  Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

ugadog,
Like Jorge and Peter stated, many people are coming from crusiers. I did and had concerns with the feeling of the bike being on tip toes while sitting at lights and riding. My Vulcan had a lower seat height than the V-Strom, but after two days of "break in" riding, I feel more secure on the V-Strom than I ever did on the Vulcan. I have a 34 inch inseam 6 feet 1 in overall, so I can get my feet flat on the ground. Check the gound clearance of the KL against the V-Strom, it could be lower. You can also order a lower seat through your Suzuki dealer or after market supplier's. Look through the forums to see what others have done and try to get some one close to you to allow you to test sit a DL650 with a lowered seat. But if you are comfortable with the KLR stick with it. I guess I'm too enthusiastic, I just reread what I typed and realized I'm trying to sell you the V-Strom. Keep digging for answers before you decide.

The opinions, right or wrong, expressed or implied are by no means meant to sway opinion or influence decisions. They are simply the opinions of this humble hack.  :Smiley

2006 V-Strom 650 <span style="color:silver;">Pegasus</span>
Its either: the journey, the destination, or both. Just remember to have fun.
Previous bike: 2000 Kawaski Vulcan 750 - traded for V-Strom
Anonymous
« REPLY #4 on: 10/23/06 0037 Hours »

The Wee is tad tall for me (I'm 5'8", 30 " inseame), but since you're riding a KLR I think you'll be fine.  I've had several MX bikes and an XR 650L, so I'm used to not having both feet flat at a stop.  As the others stated, there are several options for lowering it as well.  If you were coming from a cruiser, I'd think you'd need to lower it, but jumping off a KLR I don't think you will.
SeaDuck
« REPLY #5 on: 10/23/06 0108 Hours »

I sold my KLR650 this summer and bought the Vstrom 650 as a replacement.  The Vstrom seat is closer to the ground by several inches. Changing over to the Vstrom is the best bike move I have made in the last couple of decades.  For me the VStrom beats the KLR in every catagory unless the KLR has been modified a bunch. I never could get the KLR to be fun or comfortable on a long (200+ miles) trip.
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013