V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 2124 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: How do you disable O2 sensor on DL1000  (Read 16170 times)
Anonymous
« on: 10/24/04 1510 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

I've looked for around the forum and the internet but I was unable to find information on how to disable the O2 sensor on DL1000 2004 model.

The powercommander web site indicate that you shoud disconnect the pin 23 from the ecu as indicated in this pdf.

[url=http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/dl1000_oxy.pdf]http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/dl1000_oxy.pdf[/url]  

but the 2004 is different and has 2 connectors and not one as you can see in this photos

Thumbnails and photos of 2004 ecu  

Considering the two connectors like a single one (side by side it has the same number of pins) , and according to the dynojet web site the pin 23 is a white wire with a blue stripe.
Anyway seems a bit tricky to unplug a wire from this kind of connector without cutting it...

Do you have any information or suggestiong?

thanks a lot!

Anonymous
« REPLY #1 on: 10/24/04 1525 Hours »

You didn't state whether or not you had a USA, or other spec bike.  If it's a USA model, forget about disabling the sensor.....there is none!
Anonymous
« REPLY #2 on: 10/24/04 1537 Hours »

You are right, but speaking about O2 sensor, I was intending non-US models.

I am from Italy and my bike has lambda sensor.
I have a simil-powercommander (rapidbike with advance control) remus pipes and pipercross filters.

I was tring to understand the differences disabling O2 in the overall setting.

bye
Advertisement

Anonymous
« REPLY #3 on: 11/13/04 2213 Hours »

thanks to Papaefthymiou Vangelis that wrote me:

You will find the information required for disabling the O2 sensor in the following diagram. You still need to disconnect the cable corresponding to pin 23. Unfortunately, in the K4 model you cannot disassemble the connectors, so you will have to cut the cable.

AlH
05/25/04 0501 Hours
SC/NC
« REPLY #4 on: 11/14/04 0209 Hours »

I'm confused...you are supposed to disconnect pin 23?  But the chart shows a - for pin 23.  Huh??

Al
johnofchar
Deceased VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #5 on: 11/14/04 0303 Hours »

QUOTE BEGIN >>> AlH wrote on 13.11.2004 21:09[/i]
I'm confused...you are supposed to disconnect pin 23?  But the chart shows a - for pin 23.  Huh??

Al <<< QUOTE END

Note: O2 sensor disable only applys to UK & EU model Stroms.

This has been building up for awhile, time to flame Dynojet. I am a PCIII fan but Dynojet is getting lazy and making mistakes.

1. They call for pin 23 in their disable procedure. Pin 23 is a dead end wire going to the diagnostic connector. It should be Pin 24 or maybe 8, to disable the O2 sensor.

2. They have not made a new map for a stock Strom since early in 02. With the change to the 32 bit ECU in 04 I'm sure they should have done a new one. Some guys have posted their 04's run like crap with the stock map loaded.

3. It appears all they are doing is adding every year (now includes 05) to the application chart without actually checking to insure nothing has changed.

Dynojet is loosing favor in my eyes. Think Teka will get my bucks next time.

jw

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
Anonymous
« REPLY #6 on: 11/14/04 2321 Hours »

QUOTE BEGIN >>> AlH wrote on 14.11.2004 03:09[/i]

Al <<< QUOTE END
Yes , I have only reported what vangelis wrote me. Pin 23 sounded strange, looking at the diagram, so maybe 8 or 24.

if you have a diagram of the old connector we can understand.

fede
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #7 on: 11/14/04 2331 Hours »

On K2-K3 models with one 40 pin connector, pins 24 & 8 are the O2 sensor to ECU wires. I'm guessing pin 24 for disable.  Don't have a K4 wiring diagram so I can't compare. The wire pinout you show above appears to apply to all, K2-K4.

jw

Get your flags
Anonymous
« REPLY #8 on: 12/01/04 2122 Hours »

Hello guys,

As I have already informed Fede, the diagrams I have sent him would allow to disconnect the O2 sensor and by "removing" the pin 23 of the ECU connector the EFI light won't come up. So, to sum up the wire connected to pin 23 is simply the one that sends the EFI malfunction indication (the removal of the O2 sensor) to your instrument panel.

After removing the O2 sensor, the ECU defaults to a fixed "reading" of lamda (most likely lamda=1), which means that it will constantly "read" this value throughout the whole rpm and throttle position range.

To be more helpful, don't try to disassemble the ECU connector to get the pin 23 out, since it is fixed. Instead, you can cut the wire (be careful to locate the correct one) and install a single wire connector (male-female) on the cut cable ends, just in case you need to reconnect them in the future.

Last but not least, be careful when locating the pin 23. The diagram Fede have posted depicts the ECU side of the connectors. A closer look on the connectors will clarify my saying, since both of them have a "guide" next to the connector's lock.

Good luck !
Anonymous
« REPLY #9 on: 12/01/04 2202 Hours »

thanks a lot.

you explained clearly.

One question: where did you got this informations?

chimoio
Anonymous
« REPLY #10 on: 12/06/04 0816 Hours »

The information was extracted from a Service Bulletin Suzuki has issued, regarding the DL1000 K4 model.
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #11 on: 04/24/05 1206 Hours »

The diagram link from the above post does not work. I copied it into our Gallery insteat

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR
Elvis
09/17/04 1938 Hours

Germany (sachsen)
« REPLY #12 on: 06/04/05 2238 Hours »

Hi
Today I done a small test to conform pin 23
I removed pin 23 and then unplugged the O2 sensor
Connector that is close to the oil window at the bottom
And then I started the engine and the FI light was off (normal operation)
Meaning pin 23 is the correct one like “VPapaefthymiou”
Said, I just had to check

How will you count the insurance money if you are riding without gloves
johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #13 on: 06/05/05 0100 Hours »

That also means the FI light will never work.

Get your flags
Elvis
09/17/04 1938 Hours

Germany (sachsen)
« REPLY #14 on: 06/05/05 0813 Hours »

I am not sure about that
i will try today to disconnect one
of the sensors to see if it i working
or not

Elvis
09/17/04 1938 Hours

Germany (sachsen)
« REPLY #15 on: 06/05/05 1623 Hours »

You are right pin 23 is the signal for all FI alarms
But I don’t understand why dyno-jet do not state that
In there procedure I am sure allot of people that have the
Power commander in Europe don’t know that now they don’t
Have any indication for a problem in the FI because they took
Out PIN 23 .
Is there a way to connect something to the O2 connector that
Will fool the ECU to think there is an O2 sensor and it will
Give constant lambda 1?

johnofchar
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #16 on: 06/05/05 1633 Hours »

That wouldn't work because the ECM would still run closed loop if it thought it was getting a proper signal.

Get your flags
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #17 on: 06/05/05 1648 Hours »

If your intention is only to tune it right for better low end running, you don't need to disable the O2 sensor.

If your intention is a full tuning, then it is better to disable that O2 thing.

Peter
Anonymous
« REPLY #18 on: 06/20/05 2019 Hours »

Fellow Stromers,

Adding to the modification regarding the removal of the O2 sensor on DL1000K4/K5, I have to insist on the correctness of my instructions, since all of them are carried out as described and checked time and again. I have also to make clear that the removal of pin #23 will only cancel the malfunction indication of O2 sensor and nothing more than that. This is checked too.

All in all, I will be more than happy to provide assistance to anyone willing to proceed with the removal of O2 sensor.

Vangelis
zander
« REPLY #19 on: 12/15/05 1943 Hours »

Hallo guys, as some of you know I still have problems with my bike.
Peter gave me an advice do disconnect O2 sensor (2 wires coupler) and to try bike. In second step I should disconnect another (3 wire coupler). This two operations I didnt try, but I see here in post that some of us know a lot about that issue.
My bike is all original so what is the purpose of this dissableing of O2 sensor? Can it be related to my bike too?
ferdo
« REPLY #20 on: 01/26/06 1942 Hours »

Quote:

VPapaefthymiou wrote on 20.06.2005 21:19[/i]
Fellow Stromers,

Adding to the modification regarding the removal of the O2 sensor on DL1000K4/K5, I have to insist on the correctness of my instructions, since all of them are carried out as described and checked time and again. I have also to make clear that the removal of pin #23 will only cancel the malfunction indication of O2 sensor and nothing more than that. This is checked too.

All in all, I will be more than happy to provide assistance to anyone willing to proceed with the removal of O2 sensor.

Vangelis

I only partly agree with you. It is my opinion that the pin #23 -> ground connection, discriminates between a DL1000 with lambdasensor and a DL1000 wihtout a lambdasensor. All US DL1000 without a lambdasensor do not have pin #23 grounded, all EU models with lambdasensor have it grounded.

Depending on the Ohm value measured on pin #23 the ECU decides to operate the closed loop with lambdasensor feedback or operate it with lambda internally fixed to 1.0 and use solely its internal map.

Today I disconnected pin #23 on my EU DL1000K5 and noticed not very much change in driving my bike. I road 120 km through the cold to discover that at constant 140 km/h my DL1000 used about 10% LESS fuel. Normally my DL1000 was very smooth between 4000 and 5000 rpm. Now I could feel a slightly less smooth running. This could be very well due to a leaner mixture.

During the ride the lambasensor was still connected but no error message was displayed. To test if pin #23 has something to do with disabling FI error messages, we disconnected the water temperature sensor. After we switched on the VStrom, the FI message was immediatly displayed. So this proves that pin #23 has no influence in surpressing any FI error message except the lambdasensor error.

Next week I will install the PC III usb to try to get still a beter fueleconomy. But now I am happy that I did change only one thing at a time, so I could feel how the DL1000 K5 is with an ECU not looking at an oxygen sensor. Now I also know that, at least my lambdasensor 'uses' 10% fuel. A strange paradox using more fuel for a cleaner air....

Now my bike has 14000 km, but at 6000 km I had a new lambdasensor installed on warranty. Only the first ride after that, I got a MPG simmilar to today. I suppose lambdasensors on DL1000's get so dirty that the HO2 values measured are not the real ones. But there could be another cause. Because I now have a leaner mixture, the lambdasensor signaled to much oxygen, and the ECU had then richen the mixture. Why does the lambdasensor measure to much oxygen between 4000 and 5000 rpm? Could it be a leaky PAIR (valve) system?

Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #21 on: 01/27/06 0048 Hours »

There are 8 maps stored in the ECU, including the open loop US map. They would be stupid to sell different ECU's everywhere.

I did notice the US Stroms do have lower fuel consumption.

Peter
ib
Strom forever
Administrator
04/16/04 0833 Hours

DL1000 K4, KLV1000 K5
Germany
www Offline
« REPLY #22 on: 09/04/11 1216 Hours »

No updates since a while. So we take that disconnecting pin 23 disables the O2 sensor?

I'll try to experiment next winter with O2 removal.

Genuine V-Strom Fundamentalist, VSRI 598
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013