V-Strom Riders International
12/22/14 1324 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: MP Cycle Designs  (Read 3239 times)
Anonymous
« on: 02/09/07 2135 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

On my new to be, but previuosly farkled DL1000, I have an MP Cycle Designs screen.  I like the short screen, and even this is more wind protection than I've ever had before.  I will probably use this screen quite a bit, but also want something larger (or at least want to try something larger) for long touring and bad weather.

I also have the stock screen, and tried it today, my gosh, above 70 it was like my head was in one of those paint shaker machines.  I don't know how a person could ride far like that.

My question for those with experience with this, the screen I have measures 11 1/2 inches top to bottom.  Since I have the MP brackets and it's an easy to change out different screen, I figure get another MP designs screen.  But what size should I consider?  I'm 5'10".  

This 11 1/2 screen is very nice, it does sound like I get a lot more wind noise than I do on my bikes with no fairing, is that normal?

thanks for any advice on this.

BooneDog
www.hbw-usa.com
2004 DL1000
1999 Triumph Speed Triple
2001 DR650

RubberDown
10/15/04 2131 Hours

Maryland
« REPLY #1 on: 02/09/07 2140 Hours »

Quote:

BooneDog wrote on 09.02.2007 14:35[/i]
My question for those with experience with this, the screen I have measures 11 1/2 inches top to bottom.  Since I have the MP brackets and it's an easy to change out different screen, I figure get another MP designs screen.  But what size should I consider?  I'm 5'10".  

I would contact Paul at MP and ask him.  Give him all the measurements and he'll set you up.  You could also try the Madstad bracket with your MP screens.

SpeedStar
01/31/05 1511 Hours

DL650 06, KTM 950SM
San Diego, Ca
« REPLY #2 on: 02/09/07 2204 Hours »

Call Paul @ 858-232-8187
I have all of his screens and I am about the same height as you.
He will probably suggest a 19 or 20" tall touring screen.  I also really like the 19" sport-touring screen.
Paul will get you set.  Wink

Check out my V-Strom guards in Stromers Merchandise.  Thanks, Devin 

FS: Frame guards, triple-clamp covers, fork guards and tank guards. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,748.0.html

FS:  Headlight masks.  http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4474.0.html
Anonymous
« REPLY #3 on: 02/10/07 0015 Hours »

BooneDog, I noticed you are located somewhere in Florida. Should you possibly be in the Tampa area ... you might want to contact Mark of Madstad as he and Paul of MP Designs seem to have a working relationship and promote each others products. Quite possibly he will have some of the MP shields you can see and who knows ... maybe even try out along with his Madstad bracket. If he should have any of the older model shields .. maybe also look at those in comparison. I still have one of the older version 19" Sport touring shields made with the previous material .... I believe to my eyes to  be optically more correct and preferable. It does work somewhat better than the stock screen. I am about 6' tall but prefer to look over the screens. I also have an older style Givi, and I also am continuing to look at some other possibilities. Yes ; I think ; the wind noise is pretty much normal. Good luck to you in your quest !   Smiley
Anonymous
« REPLY #4 on: 02/10/07 0048 Hours »

Yea I'm about an hour from Tampa.  That mount does look interesting, it might let me use the stock screen and get it to work, along with that shorty screen.  Might be all I need.
Anonymous
« REPLY #5 on: 09/27/07 0430 Hours »

I have the same shield and brackets on my 650. Try shimming the bottom of the mounts with 4 stainless washers on each side. The mod is invisible and it smooths the airflow a good bit. Quieter, but still a bit noisy.
cpboy
« REPLY #6 on: 09/27/07 0759 Hours »

You can spend the next xx years shimming, washering, replacing, getting wind beaten etc.

Skip the experiment, spend 80 or so bucks and get the Madstad brackets. They'll save ya money in the long run.
I did and just got home from a 5k trip.
Do it.

Paul carries them and he'll get you set up
Anonymous
« REPLY #7 on: 09/29/07 0519 Hours »

The Madstad brackets are no doubt better if looks are not important. The Madstad makes the windshield look like a wing in front of the bike. I get loads of compliments on the looks of my bike with the MP and Shorty combo.
greywolf
01/31/06 0643 Hours

DL650AL2
Evanston IL USA
www Offline
« REPLY #8 on: 09/29/07 0627 Hours »

Quote:

smoker1960 wrote on 28.09.2007 23:19[/i]
The Madstad brackets are no doubt better if looks are not important. The Madstad makes the windshield look like a wing in front of the bike. I get loads of compliments on the looks of my bike with the MP and Shorty combo.

I'll second that.

Pat
Nicknames I use to lessen typing - Vee=2002 - 2012 DL1000s, Veek=2014+DL1000As, Wee=2004-2011 DL650s, Glee=2012+DL650As
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013