V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 1733 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Bike lift  (Read 6498 times)
Rob
Hooligan at heart
06/09/06 2205 Hours
Edmonton, Alberta
« on: 06/14/07 1823 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

I've been using this lift for the better part of a year.  I bought it at Princess Auto in Edmonton.  I think it was $500, might have been $400, you would have to check.  

What I like.

Its a bike lift damn it, I was sick of working on the floor and killing my back.  I'm 6 foot 7 so it was a great addition to my garage.
It is hydralic not air operated so I dont have to run my compressor to do an oil change.
It holds my liter strom no problems
I've seen these with just a rail to hold the bike with the theroy being you can get right next to the bike and the stand is a little narrower.  I like using it as a workbench and having a place to set my tools.  I also usually park one bike on the lift so I can still use the side stand on this wide platform lift
It has a removable section in the rear part of the lift so you can drop the rear wheel down a bit to aid in removal in case you have not chopped the rear fender.
It goes high enough to have the top case on my Strom touch the underside of the open garage door.

What I dont like

The bolt set that came with the lift was lacking.  I've added lock washers here and there as well as just some oversize washers where they had made no provisions for it. Overall the hardware was adequete just not quite as good as it could have been.
The ramp had these funny looking little pins to hold it on.  I've never used them.  It holds itself in place fine and sometimes once the bike is up I like to remove it to get some walk around room.  Ever walked into one of these edges? I still have a mark.
Its heavy.  I mean damn heavy.  They load it with a forklift and send you home to figure out how your going to unload it.  
I didnt care for the yellow.  No offense to you SSYSO's but it just aint my color. I'm just too busy to paint it.
The front wheel clamp is a little cumbersome.  Most times I dont even use it.  I roll the bike up, put it on the center stand and work away.  If its going to be some hard wrenching clamp it and use the strap mount points.

The things I dont like are small details compared to the big picture.  I'd buy it again tomorrow if this one breaks (if I could afford it)   Its a great addition to the garage and a back saver.   One more thing. it does take up a pretty good amount of space.  i usually park my XRL on it to utilize the room properly.

Here are some shots.
Rob

I miss my KTM, not enough to buy another one mind you....

greywolf
Godspeed dear Grewolf
Former Member
01/31/06 0643 Hours

DL650AL2
Evanston IL USA
www Offline
« REPLY #1 on: 06/14/07 1848 Hours »

It appears to be the same as the Harbor Freight lift I bought in the US. Mine is red instead of yellow though. Central Hydraulics is the listed manufacturer and it was made in China.

Pat
Nicknames I use to lessen typing - Vee=2002 - 2012 DL1000s, Veek=2014-2016 DL1000As, Wee=2004-2011 DL650s, Glee=2012-2016 DL650As
Anonymous
« REPLY #2 on: 06/14/07 1902 Hours »

Nice looking shop mate  Grin
only one thing missing............

Empty beer containers  Cool
Advertisement

Rob
Hooligan at heart
06/09/06 2205 Hours
Edmonton, Alberta
« REPLY #3 on: 06/14/07 2103 Hours »

Well get yer ass over here.  I cleaned all the other ones up from your last visit.  I think there are still a few in the fridge.  
 Grin

WeThereYet
03/26/06 0240 Hours
06 1K Red
Victoria, B.C.
« REPLY #4 on: 06/14/07 2340 Hours »

Thanks for the pics and write up Rob. That unit looks like it will fit the bill perfectly. Do you have room to park the Vee near the center of the ramp using the side stand, prior to popping it up onto the center stand? Found it on the site for $499.00. Does PA ever put them on sale? Certainly not a deal breaker, still seems like a pretty good deal. I was going to look for one with a skookum front wheel clamp, but if you hardly ever use it, what's the point?

Hope to have one by this weekend. Thanks again.
Rob
Hooligan at heart
06/09/06 2205 Hours
Edmonton, Alberta
« REPLY #5 on: 06/15/07 0020 Hours »

Yes I can put the Vee on the side stand before I put it up on the center stand.  It takes a little preplanning to do it though.  Just have to posion the bike right.  Too far to the one side and it woun't work.  Do not try to raise the lift with the bike on the side stand, unless you get the balance point just right.   Also when you are on the center stand it plants its feet right in front of the cut out hole so when you put the lift together put the black stopper as far forward as it will go.
Rob

WeThereYet
03/26/06 0240 Hours
06 1K Red
Victoria, B.C.
« REPLY #6 on: 06/15/07 0114 Hours »

Thanks Rob, HOWEVER, I just got off the phone with Princess Auto. This model is discontinued. Only a few left in Canada. Apparently 2 left in Kelowna, B.C. and another in Sarnia, Ontario.

You lucked out with yours Rob. Kelowna's too far. I may have to go Stateside to Harbour Freight. Any other Canucks looking for the Princess Auto lift better jump on these ones.
Si
02/08/05 1636 Hours

Morecambe, England
www Offline
« REPLY #7 on: 06/15/07 0700 Hours »

Anybody recommend something like this available in the UK? Happy

Si "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine."
jdpower
« REPLY #8 on: 06/15/07 1436 Hours »

I like it.  I've got a Kendon bike lift, but I have to use some long elevated boards on either side to balance the bike since I ride it on.  I can't seem to walk it up on it unless had another person to help.  I think your lift type is better, but I also use the garage for cars.  I can  put the kendon up against the wall but not this other type lift.  Using the garage for cars looks like the big problem,  Grin .

JDP
Rob
Hooligan at heart
06/09/06 2205 Hours
Edmonton, Alberta
« REPLY #9 on: 06/15/07 1448 Hours »

When we bought this house I told her she could have the house but the car or truck was never going to see the inside of the garage. I couldn't get a car in there now if I tried.  
Its a great problem to have......
Rob

Si
02/08/05 1636 Hours

Morecambe, England
www Offline
« REPLY #10 on: 06/16/07 1956 Hours »

Quote:

Rob wrote on 15.06.2007 14:48[/i]
When we bought this house I told her she could have the house but the car or truck was never going to see the inside of the garage. I couldn't get a car in there now if I tried.  
Its a great problem to have......
Rob

My attitude exactly!!!!  Happy Grin

Trouble is, 'stuff' she wants out of the way from the house keeps finding its way to the corners and sides of the garage, eating away at the room in the middle for the bikes!!! Embarrassed

Si "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine."
Robin Hood
03/20/04 1721 Hours

DL1000 K4
Nottingham UK
« REPLY #11 on: 06/16/07 2024 Hours »

Quote:

greywolf wrote on 14.06.2007 18:48[/i]
It appears to be the same as the Harbor Freight lift I bought in the US. Mine is red instead of yellow though. Central Hydraulics is the listed manufacturer and it was made in China.

Here Si.....http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/vehicle-lifts

RH.

"A Dog Is A Mans Best Friend"  R.I.P. Max.
johnofchar
Deceased VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #12 on: 06/16/07 2045 Hours »

Quote:

Si wrote on 16.06.2007 14:56[/i]
Trouble is, 'stuff' she wants out of the way from the house keeps finding its way to the corners and sides of the garage, eating away at the room in the middle for the bikes!!! Embarrassed

Here we would call that a yard sale time!  Grin

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
WeThereYet
03/26/06 0240 Hours
06 1K Red
Victoria, B.C.
« REPLY #13 on: 06/18/07 0336 Hours »

Thanks for the information and review Rob. The Princess Auto unit is no longer available so I got one Friday at Lift Buddy in Coquitlam. Seems to be the same only red.

elizilla
« REPLY #14 on: 06/18/07 0419 Hours »

Quote:

See, this is why I make a big point of maintaining enough space in the garage for a car.  It's really easy to move the car out when it's time to work on bikes in there, but if there's no car in there, the garage accumulates 'stuff" that is much more difficult to remove.  You might try having her park her car in there, just to serve as a placeholder and ward off the stuff.

Si
02/08/05 1636 Hours

Morecambe, England
www Offline
« REPLY #15 on: 06/18/07 0752 Hours »

Quote:

Robin Hood wrote on 16.06.2007 20:24[/i]

RH.

Thanks Mark. Happy

Quote:

johnofchar wrote on 16.06.2007 20:45[/i]

Quote:

Here we would call that a yard sale time!  Grin

LOL!!!! Grin

Quote:

elizilla wrote on 18.06.2007 04:19[/i]
See, this is why I make a big point of maintaining enough space in the garage for a car.  It's really easy to move the car out when it's time to work on bikes in there, but if there's no car in there, the garage accumulates 'stuff" that is much more difficult to remove.  You might try having her park her car in there, just to serve as a placeholder and ward off the stuff.

Great idea if you have a garage the size the average flat in London, but there's no way a car would every fit in my garage as well as the bikes - even without the yard sale stock!!! Cry

Si
02/08/05 1636 Hours

Morecambe, England
www Offline
« REPLY #16 on: 06/18/07 0756 Hours »

Quote:

Robin Hood wrote on 16.06.2007 20:24[/i]

RH.

Please note – unfortunately the Motor Cycle is not included with this lift  

Slowrider
11/10/05 1856 Hours
DL-650 K6
Austin, TX
« REPLY #17 on: 06/18/07 1415 Hours »

I know this is primarily a Canadian and Brit thread but I saw this lift in this week's Pep Boys ad for $299.99 US.
DwayneInfo
05/01/07 0551 Hours

Houston, TX
« REPLY #18 on: 06/22/07 1353 Hours »

I got this today. Thought I would try to share it.

You can try to right click and save then print or go to the gallery and try to get it.

http://vstrom.info/vsri-gallery/gallery/MISC/TOOL/1.gif.html

Dwayne
BikeMan
02/27/08 2055 Hours

DL1000k5
Columbus, Ohio USA
« REPLY #19 on: 09/11/14 2130 Hours »

i use a "come along winch"  (2000 lbs.) $20.. from  local discount  hardware store.

Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013