V-Strom Riders International
09/22/14 0211 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Lowering Bike / $25 Seat Fix / Bar Setbacks  (Read 4345 times)
Anonymous
« on: 09/18/07 1734 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

I have included all three issues here as they are all related and seem to be the 3 most frequently discussed items in their respective categories.  

Pictures for these and other Mods below.

The issue (DL650):
I love this bike and out of all the bikes I have owned this qualifies and “Most Fun” to ride.  However shortly after getting the bike I noticed two obvious negatives.  First, although I am 6 feet tall I only have a 30 inch inseam.  This put me on the balls of my feet right out of the box.  Second the seat is just plain horrible.  After 30 minutes I was squirming trying to get comfortable.  After two hours my butt was chaffed and sore.  

The Possibilities:
Let’s just say after seeing some of the seat mods in this forum I decided to first try the gel seat for 150.00.  Two rides in 100+ degrees weather told me this was the wrong choice as the gel not only heats up, but retains the heat cooking your private parts for about 45 minutes after you remount. The gel seat is also 1” taller no matter what measuring point you use.  So on both counts this was counter productive, less comfortable and taller.  Now I was on my tiptoes.

The solution:
After returning the gel seat and counting out the other $500 to $600 seat option I decided to take one step at a time.

Lowering the DL650: First I lowered the bike using a 3/4” inch lowering dogboness I found on Ebay for $16.00. (Link Below).  This mod took all of fifteen minutes and was done with a wrench, ratchet and a standard car floor jack and the side stand. I then lowered the front end by sliding the chassis down the fork tubes 22 MM or 3/4 “ inches.   This mod took ten minutes and costs nothing.  Now the bike was lower and ready for the seat mod below.

The seat mod:  I looked high and low for the answer to this problem that wouldn’t cost a fortune.  I went into every type of store looking for something to put on the seat that wouldn’t look terrible or put in the seat that wouldn’t destroy it’s looks.  Then one day when I was at one my own companies stores (a car dealership) my eye was caught by a 25.99 car seat lumbar support made out of memory foam.  It is black and already had straps on the back so it could be secured to a car seat.  I couldn’t believe that after weeks of looking in retail stores and on the internet I found a possible solution that I had walked by a thousand times.  I went home, strapped it on the seat using the included strap and in less then one minute and $25, the problem was solved. (Phone number for this provided below).

The Handlebars:
Lowering the bike and the front end brings the handlebars further away from you.  I was contemplating raising them anyway before the lowering mod, but those adjustments made it necessary for me. I ordered a set of raisers/barbacks from twistedthrottle.com (Link bleow) for $99.00.  

Lowering the bike 3/4 “ in the front gave more than enough slack on the cables and hoses to accommodate the bars being raised and brought back 1” respectively. This was another 30 minute process.

The Conclusion:
For less than $150.00 and in a little over 1 hour I solved all three of the problems I had with this bike. Now it took me 2 months to figure all this out, but it was worth the wait. The seat cushion does add about 3/8 to 1/2  to the seat height when you sit on it, but since the bike is 3/4 “ lower it is not a problem for me.  The cushion is also covered with a pre-scotchguarded material that breathes so much better then the stock seat.  

Cautions:
1. Do not lower the front end more than 22 MM as it will interfere with the fender on a large bumps.
2. Although they sell lowering links up to 3 inches, do not lower the rear more than 1” as this may cause drivability problems.
3. Make sure you cover your tank before installing the bar raisers.
4. Make sure the seat pad is secured tightly and does not shift around when riding.
5. Make sure you unload the rear shock before removing the dogbones.  If you can not easily remove the dogbone bolts in the rear, then you have not unloaded the suspension properly and will undoubtedly hurt yourself or the bike.
6. There are risks to doing any bike modification. The risk for any of these mods is entirely yours!

Where to find these items -

Lowering Link(16.00):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-V-STROM-3-4-lowering-links-DL1000-DL650-VSTROM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ008QQitemZ180097143088QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Bar Risers and setbacks (99.00):
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2016

Seat Cushion/Lumbar Support (25.00)
Vista Honda - 805-654-0066

Lowering Link

Lowered Forks 22MM

Seat Pad

12 Volt Power / Car adaptor from Radi Shack

Garrage Door Opener (Radio Shack Switch soldered to Genie)

Anonymous
« REPLY #1 on: 09/23/07 1800 Hours »

After my first ride of any distance I had to make two adjustments to the seat pad.  I had to pull it forward so it sat right in the deepest part of the pocket.  Also on the underside I added two strip of anti skid carpet tape so the pad would not move from side to side.  You can get this tape at any home or hardware store.  It is used for indoor carpets to keep them from slipping while walking on the,m  Before you buy it ask you wife is she already has some.  Mine did.
ga-twisties
12/06/07 0031 Hours

2008 1000
Epworth Georgia
« REPLY #2 on: 02/28/08 0220 Hours »

Some very good information. I too have the motech risers and they work well. Do you know if the dog bones leave enough safe clearance with a center stand installed, as I already have the motech centerstand. Does anyone else reading this have the centerstand and lowering links ?
bobbyvstrom
Bob the ridin' Realtor
07/05/07 0746 Hours
DL1000K6
Bremerton, Washington
« REPLY #3 on: 02/28/08 0243 Hours »

I have the DL 1000 and have used 1" and 1.5" dog bones in it with a center stand.  I do not know the brand, as it was there when I got the bike, used.  Everything clears fine.  There is VERY little difference in the dog bones between stock and even 1.5" .  It is a centelever suspension, so 1/8" on the dog bones makes a big difference in seat height.  The lowering bones are not going to be a problem for you I would bet.  They're also made of aluminum so they could be slightly trimmed if needed IMHO.

Bobby
Used to ride: 1955 Doodlebug scooter, '59 Ducati "Bronco" 85, '60s Allstate (Puch) 175, '60s Yamaha YDS-1 250, '71 Honda SL 350, '70 Maico w/ Honda SL 350 power, late '80s Yamaha Seca 750, '89 Yamaha FJ 1200, '70s Yamaha TT 500 and an '06 KTM 450 EXC.  Now ride a  Beautiful Red DL 1000 K6.
TravellingStrom
07/22/06 0853 Hours

DL650 K9 Black ABS
The Land Downunder
www Offline
« REPLY #4 on: 02/28/08 0810 Hours »

Quote:

ga-twisties wrote on 28.02.2008 12:20[/i]
Some very good information. I too have the motech risers and they work well. Do you know if the dog bones leave enough safe clearance with a center stand installed, as I already have the motech centerstand. Does anyone else reading this have the centerstand and lowering links ?

Hi

I lowered my 650 with longer dogbones, then later on added a centre stand, no worries at all m8.

Cheers
TS

10-95
02/26/06 0140 Hours

2006 DL1000
Bryan,Texas
« REPLY #5 on: 02/28/08 0850 Hours »

I bought the $16 E-Bay links for the wife's bike. Great value.

The seat mod ---- stopped by my local upholstery shop, featuring my favorite meth addicted upholsterer Grin , he fixed mine with some "leftover" memory foam and asked for $20. I gave him $30. After all it only took 30 minutes and I may need to take the wife's seat to him. That is, if he's still working out in the free world.
Detjen
12/11/06 1731 Hours

DL1000K6
Austin, Texas
« REPLY #6 on: 02/28/08 1754 Hours »

"The Handlebars:
Lowering the bike and the front end brings the handlebars further away from you.    "

Huh - how does this move the handlebars further away?  It gives you slack in the cables, but the bars placement stays the same in relation to the rider.
Anonymous
« REPLY #7 on: 02/28/08 1849 Hours »

You are correct, maybe it jst seems that way.

Anonymous
« REPLY #8 on: 02/28/08 1851 Hours »

I have been asked by several people about the quality of the lowering links i got in eBay vs. the $75.00 version sold elsewhere.  Here is my reply.

They appear well made and they went on
with no problems. They appear the same thickness and quality as the
factory ones I removed. Of course the questions that nags the back of
my mind is "are they going to fail when I am doing 60 MPH in a turn"?
I don't know the answer to that and I am not sure I would feel any
more comfortable if i had paid $1000.00 for them. After about 1500
miles so far so good.
bobbyvstrom
Bob the ridin' Realtor
07/05/07 0746 Hours
DL1000K6
Bremerton, Washington
« REPLY #9 on: 02/28/08 1859 Hours »

Lowering the front does move the bars away because the angle of the bike changes relative to one's comfortable seating position.  Think about the situation exaggerated about 100 times.  If the front was lowered two feet, the bars would SEEM to be much further away even thouh the measurements from the seat to the bars did not change.  Lowering the rear a comparable amount would even things out, of course.

We have a couple thousand miles riding two-up on the lowering dog bones off ebay and they are just fine.  I'd hate to think of the stress that would be required to break the things in tension.  I'm pretty sure you could pick a car up with one.  They are machined, not cast.

Bobby
Used to ride: 1955 Doodlebug scooter, '59 Ducati "Bronco" 85, '60s Allstate (Puch) 175, '60s Yamaha YDS-1 250, '71 Honda SL 350, '70 Maico w/ Honda SL 350 power, late '80s Yamaha Seca 750, '89 Yamaha FJ 1200, '70s Yamaha TT 500 and an '06 KTM 450 EXC.  Now ride a  Beautiful Red DL 1000 K6.
Anonymous
« REPLY #10 on: 07/19/08 1737 Hours »

Just picked up my new '08 DL650 from the dealer on Wednesday with Vortex 2" lowering links installed along with the OEM center stand.  No problems at all getting the bike on the center stand.  Although I'm not the most experienced rider but I can't tell of any handling issues with the use of the lowering links and I love being flatfooted.  They did shorten the regular stand to hopefully avoid the tipover.

Randy
johnofchar
Former VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
www Offline
« REPLY #11 on: 07/19/08 1813 Hours »

Quote:

rwblevins wrote on 19.07.2008 12:37[/i]
Just picked up my new '08 DL650 from the dealer on Wednesday with Vortex 2" lowering links installed along with the OEM center stand.  No problems at all getting the bike on the center stand.  Although I'm not the most experienced rider but I can't tell of any handling issues with the use of the lowering links and I love being flatfooted.  They did shorten the regular stand to hopefully avoid the tipover.

Randy

The dealer installed the links?  Sad  That is too much & you could have problems with tire clearance.

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013