V-Strom Riders International
10/25/14 1937 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Nolan N101  (Read 8707 times)
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« on: 03/11/05 1748 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

This is meant as an update for friends of the Nolan N100 / N101 series. I received my N101 Classic VPS today. It's the latest version with sunshade.

The Sunshade is attached to the outside, which has the advantage that it does not hamper with the structural strength of the helmet. This may or may not happen with helmets which have an integral sunshield.

As a disadvantage, the Nolan system does not allow for the sunshade to disappear in a protected space inside the helmet

The helmet comes with two circular covers, which can be easily removed, and which allows the sunshade to be mounted in seconds. As usual with Nolan the chin bar snugs neatly to the helmet when open

They improved the fabric. It is more comfortable than the grey material of my earlier N100, and my previous N101. Also they changed the cushioning somewhat, the fit is improved. It snugs tighter to my head, without giving me pressure.

The helmet comes with a detachable anti fog Pinlock visor

From the very beginnings of the helmet with the two lashes that needed to be operated both at the same time for unlocking the chin bar, this helmet has come a long way. With the later versions the locking mechanism was made very easy to operate, using the left lever only. The process is even easier with the VPS classic. The comfort is excellent for me. The crafting never has been better. And the sunshade is a blessing.

If you like the Nolan N100 series, get one of these.

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR

jdpower
« REPLY #1 on: 03/11/05 2323 Hours »

I wanted to try one of these on when I was at Daytona Trailer week (uh bike week for those that ride there), but I couldn't find one.  I did try on the new KBC FFR flip face helmet.  It was very heavy compared to the HJC Symax that I wear now.  It also fit on the large side so I found the medium fit me instead of my unual Large size.  It didn't have the same plush comfortable fit like the symax does.  It felt a little firmer kind of like a Shoei does.  Anyhoo, I like the Symax better for me, but you may like the KBC.  I still wish I could have tried on the Nolan 101.

JDP
mcho
10/19/03 0401 Hours

02 DL1000/07 DL1000
Sloan, Iowa, USA
« REPLY #2 on: 03/13/05 1307 Hours »

Thanks for the great pictures Peter.  Please give us a more detailed ride report after you get some miles in this helmet.  I think this is the one that I want but will wait and see how you like it.  Thanks for the PM.

07 Strom # 00146    VSRI # 030     Mark 
Just ride it!
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #3 on: 03/14/05 0358 Hours »

Mark, I do know the Nolan N100 since many years. There are no surprises to me around this helmet. I had the N100, N100e, and I still have the N101. Now own the N101 Classic VPS. The changes have been subtle most of the time from model to model.

Over the N100, the N101 got better sealing, and improved aerodynamics. Result: Slightly quieter, absolutely watertight. Even with the visor slightly open, little rain enters only to my face.

In comparson to the N101, the new Classic VPS has a better fabric/cushioning. The anti roll-back neck is great. The interior is in terms of quality very close to the X1002. The new comfort cushioning seems to block the venting system of the helmet a little. Now I am getting lesser wind on my scalp.

I was afraid with VPS mounted the noise levels would go up. And it is so, but really only by a very small margin. If the VPS sunshade is not mounted, overall the helmet is a bit quieter.  If I have to give an indication I'd say its like another 10%. The Nolan N100 series was always very quiet for me (except the original N100 with both hand operation, which I found being medium quiet). From the N100e onwards and in combination with the original CB screen, I do not need ear plugs. I do have bit buffeting at higher speed, or under headwinds, which is caused by the CB mainly. But this is very acceptable to me. Low noise levels are more important.

Note also: Pushing the VPS into the up position does reduce the noise!

The exterior is not different to the N101, except the VPS sunshade. I am loving it! I noticed if I do not fully push up the chin bar, there are now whistle noises. These probably are caused by the small gap in between the visor and the sunshade. Fully extended the noise disappears. If you like the N100, this new version is a better version of the same. That's all.

X-lite X1002 (List price Euro 400)

N101 Classic VPS (List price Euro 280)

Some more info about flip-ups http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=103382319846

Peter
Anonymous
« REPLY #4 on: 03/14/05 2128 Hours »

CIMA was there in the tent to the west of KBC and in next row toward sp'way blvd.  

they had both the x-1002 and the 101e.  tried both and bought another 101e <weight not that different and they both have the sunshade, altho it was $45 extra on the 101>....NOT $160 better.

since they didn't have a XL yellow down there, they are shipping one home, with sunshade installed, no tax, no shipping.  have been very happy with service from these folks over the past several years.

YMMV......
jdpower
« REPLY #5 on: 03/14/05 2315 Hours »

Come to think about it, I tried on a Nolan X Lite modular at Daytona BMW which had the external dark shield.  It was $400.  Is this the same helmet as the 101???  Huh?

JDP
Anonymous
« REPLY #6 on: 03/15/05 1635 Hours »

x-1002 = x lite.  this has a retail of $399, altho MAW <whom i would not order from> has them listed as "$299 and up" Huh??
the 101e, which began life as the 100, and is basically the same for last 3-5 yrs, is listed by CIMA as $239.  the VPS sunscreen was a show special at $45 installed, but can be retro fitted to all old helmets for $75.
hope this helps....
Anonymous
« REPLY #7 on: 03/15/05 1753 Hours »

I received an e-mail from CIMA regarding the VPS retrofit pricing. Here is the content:

Thank you for contacting CIMA International ­ Nolan helmets about the new
VPS Vision Protection System.

The VPS can be retrofitted onto any N100 ­ N100E helmet.

If your helmet was manufactured prior to Sept 2004 you will also need a new
face shield and the total cost of the face shield, VPS sun shield and the
pivots would be $83.00 plus shipping

If your helmet was made After Sept of 2004 all you will need is the VPS
sunshield and the Pivot Locks (your exisisting face shield will work). The
cost of this kit is $54.00 plus shipping

To find the release date of your helmet please look on the chin strap as
that is where the tag should be.

If you would like to purchase one of these kits please call us at
630-671-9710. We will need to know what color your helmet is ­ as the side
pivots match ­ and all shipping and credit card information.

If you need further assistance please call.

Thank you

Naturally, my helmet falls into the pre-9/04 category. Sad  

I've only got about 1200 miles on my current shield; I guess I can use it for a spare for my wife's N100...
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #8 on: 04/17/05 1313 Hours »

A neat animation

Peter
Anonymous
« REPLY #9 on: 04/27/05 0854 Hours »

OK Peter, where did you source that helmet from? I have checked with the importer in Aus and they say they don't import them and don't have any plans to do so. But they do have the N100 if I am interested.....

I really like the look of that N101 with all the accessories. Is there any where (country?) I could buy from and get it posted to me? Ordering correct sizing may be a problem, did you take the same size for the N100 and N101?

John
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #10 on: 04/27/05 0913 Hours »

John, I  am always M, regardless N100 or N101.

In Singapore they offer the N101 without VPS for S$ 260, that's OZ$ 205. If you know a friend visiting Singapore...

I know someone in Germany who would ship it to you for about Euro 300, with VPS. That's about OZ$ 500. Not worthwhile.

I did see the accessories in some motorcycle shops in Melbourne. If I was living there, guess the mailorder companies would earn even more from me.

Peter
cbx750p
« REPLY #11 on: 04/27/05 1029 Hours »

Peter, NOLAN should give you a VLC medal and present you with the VPS for free !

( VLC = Very Loyal Customer )
Anonymous
« REPLY #12 on: 04/27/05 1034 Hours »

Peter,

actually I do know someone going to Singapore in a month or two, my wife's parents are visiting there for a few days before going on to Europe. So they would have to post it back to me, since they aren't going striaght back to Aus. I don't think they would like to cart a helmet and box all round the world. Also they would not know what they were looking for, so I would have to organise everything and have them just pick it up, pay and send it home.

So do you have any contact details for a shop or person in Singapore I could deal with to organise such a thing?

Thanks
John

cbx750p
« REPLY #13 on: 04/27/05 1256 Hours »

Are you sure you want to buy the helmet via dimensions/on-line ? It is gonna be tough when you receive a helmet which you are not comfortable with.  Freight, delay, taxes, risk, etc.... would probably justify to buy the helmet locally.  You can buy electronics but stuffs like clothing, gloves and especially helmets should be tired on before purchase.  You sure ?

Anonymous
« REPLY #14 on: 04/27/05 2328 Hours »

Yes I agree its a risk and would not normally do such a thing. But I really like the features on this helmet and its not available here. However the N100 is available and I have tried them for size. Thats why I asked Peter if he took the same size from the 100 to the 101.

Even so its still a risk I will think about a bit more, but at this stage I am just trying to work out if it is even possible/feasible.

John
rjwinz
05/23/04 1453 Hours

DL650K4
North Mankato, MN
« REPLY #15 on: 04/28/05 0039 Hours »

Peter and Co., I wanted to try out the VPS but was told by my dealer that they were not being imported to the US at this time.  Any truth to that?

rjwinz
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #16 on: 04/28/05 0530 Hours »

I did ask the local shop. They are official Nolan agent. One N101 without VPS and pinlock is at the moment special offer at S$ 260.

If there are more required, they would work on a quote that might be even lower. This is only a limited offer, not all colours and sizes are available. They ship to OZ, if there is more than 1 helmet.

Can you get a group order together from OZ? Call yout friends - even if you have to buy the VPS seperately, it seems still being a deal.

Peter
Anonymous
« REPLY #17 on: 04/28/05 1348 Hours »

Peter,

Are you aware of any crash data regarding the Nolan flip-ups?  I'm curious if there is any safety data for facial impacts.  I would buy one for the flip-up feature but I am scared of the faceplate coming loose during a hit or slide.
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #18 on: 04/28/05 1623 Hours »

Richard, there are group test of flip ups in two major magazines from Germany this month. I did not have the chance to get hands on the original tests so far. The Tourenfahrer magazine tested 12 flip-ups. Included was a noise test on the V-Strom. Overall winners were (incl. the noise test) Airoh SV 55, BMW System V, and Schubert C2. May be someone from German has more details.

All helmets which did pass ECE 22-05 with chin bar test went under an impact test according to this European norm. What I noticed, helmets with plastic material used for the lashes of the locking mechanism often did not pass the test, or the vendor does not nominate them to start with. Consequently, this type did almost disappear from the European market.

Here are some more (older) information http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=103382922591 .

And here is an older MCNEWS group test http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/HelmetA04.pdf and http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/HelmetB04.pdf .

Peter
Anonymous
« REPLY #19 on: 04/28/05 2336 Hours »

Thanks Peter,  I'm gonna have to go try on one of those Nolans. Smiley
Anonymous
« REPLY #20 on: 04/29/05 0013 Hours »

Hi Peter, How much is it in SGP with the VPS? Or you bought the VPS separately and fixed it on to the N101 yourself?
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #21 on: 05/28/05 1525 Hours »

There are differences among the flip-ups. According to European ECE22-05 there are several that do pass the impact test. Often those with plastic hinge mechanism do not, those with metall hinge do. Among them which regularly pass are the Nolan N100 series (up to N102, the latest), Schubert C1 and C2, Shoi Syncrotec series, and all BMW flip-ups (they are made by Schuberth). They got ECE approval with front bar ammendment.

Especially the Schuberth C2 and the Shoi Syncrotec achieved better impact scores than most of the full helmets. Others like the Nolan are in line with normal full helmets.

I compiled crash result data from German motorcycle magazine 'Motorrrad, Reisen & Sport', published in edition 5/2005. They tested 14 flips-ups regarding comfort, noise, crash test, crafting, and value for the money. For the crash test they dropped the helmets from 172 cm with 5.5 m/s onto a steel anvil. They measured the remaining impact in g, and the time in miliseconds that impact lasted. In the magazine is for each helmet a graph. Note: Not all of these hemet are available in Singapore.

EU ECE-R 22.05 requirements:
g = max. 275

Results:
- Shoi Synchrotec II = 82 g
- Schuberth C2 = 97 g
- Airoh SV55 = 134 g
- Takachi TK80 = 148 g
- Driver MX1 = 165 g
- Caberg Justissimo = 167 g
- HJC Symax = 174 g
- Nolan N101= 174 g
- BMW System 5 - 174 g
- Vemar VXD Lux = 182 g
- Lazer Grandville GL = 186 g
- Uvex Take-off = 198 g
- IXS HX336 = 199 g
- Probiker KX1 = 222 g

Demands from the magazine:
g = max. 150 for the shell, max. 100 g seperately for the chin bar. As the reference value they mentioned the best helmet they had in the past, it is the FM T.Rad (a full helmet). It achieved 95 g.

Important as well is, if the helmet stayed operational after the impact. That means if the chin bar stayed intact or was damaged, and if it was possible to open the chin bar or not. Not being able to open the helmet is bad. Because most flip-ups can only be removed from the head by opening the chin bar. If the first aid team can not easily remove the helmet, they may loose precious second. Secondly because this is one of the major advantages of flip-ups. For the first aid team to access the face and the mouth easily can save precious seconds, as compared to full helmets.

CHIN BAR DAMAGE

No Damage:
- Airoh SV55
- BMW System 5
- Shoi Synchrotec II

Superficial Damage
- Nolan N101
- Schubert C2
- Caberg Justissimo (=Jarrow helmet for NA)
- Lazer Granville GL

Smashed, but can be opened without tools:
- Takachi TK80
- Probiker KX1

Not possible to open without tools:
- Vemar VXD Lux (chin bar is intact, but the opening button fall off)
- Uvex Take-Off (broken chin bar)
- Driver MX1 (smashed)
- HJC Sy-Max (crack)
- IXS HX 336 (smashed)

Remark 1: The Airoh is the only helmet with plastic chin bar mechanism, which stayed fully intact. Vemar is the only helmet with metal mechanism which did not stay operational, but that was only because the opening button fell off. Otherwise the chin bar did it's job. The four other helmets failing with the chin bar test are all having plastic flip mechanism.

Remark 2:: It is not anymore always true, that flip-ups are lesser save than full helmets. The best flip-ups do reach the safety levels of full helmets.

Remark 3: You gotta pay for good safety gear.

Peter
Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #22 on: 08/18/05 0804 Hours »

Naturally I disagree with some points they make (chin bar mechanism, microlock, etc.) nevertheless as another opinion http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-helmets/x-lite-x-1002.htm .

The X1002 is essentially a N100e with added VPS (the sun visor). I had it in my hands, here are the differences I found to the N101VPS:
- X1002 is made from fibre glass, instead of the N101's lexan (aka polyarbonate)
- Surprisingly noticeable heavier than the N101 (I was told fibre helmets are lighter!)
- Vent intakes are smaller
- N101 has a different in my eyes better liner fabric
- N101 has 'spoiler' extension at the rear
- finally N101 is not a lot but noticable quieter than the N100 series

Peter
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013