V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 1010 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 2 » |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: Boots - in Alaska (or wet weather)  (Read 12891 times)
Anonymous
« on: 01/01/04 1710 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

Guys (Dan - or the guys that drove to Alaska) - What kinda of boots/shoes did you have?  What do you recommend for wet or cold weather?  Is there some type of shoe cover?  Or is the best bet water proof boots with lots-o-socks?

(in preparation for the Hyder trip in June)

Thank you,

Mark

StromTrooper246
10/19/03 0316 Hours
Jupiter, FL
www Offline
« REPLY #1 on: 01/01/04 2338 Hours »

Mark,

I have these....

Sidi On Road

I have used these in the pouring rain and I am always bone dry. For something a little more off road rugged check-out the Discovery..

Discovery

Hope this helps...

Steve

Stephen Grasso
Co-host
Cafe Racer Podcast
mcho
10/19/03 0401 Hours

02 DL1000/07 DL1000
Sloan, Iowa, USA
« REPLY #2 on: 01/02/04 0242 Hours »

Hey Mark,

I have the Sidi On-road boots and have used them for two trips to Alaska and about 60,000 other miles and have never had wet or cold feet.  An electric vest is a real good thing to have.  It will help keep your feet and hands warm.  No I am not crazy, it works.
                02 Strom # 635  Mark

07 Strom # 00146    VSRI # 030     Mark 
Just ride it!
Advertisement

Anonymous
« REPLY #3 on: 01/02/04 0332 Hours »

Thanks guys.  I will check this out tomorrow.

Mark (Columbus, Oh)
03 V-Strom (yellow)
Anonymous
« REPLY #4 on: 01/02/04 1348 Hours »

I have the On Roads as well and just be advised they run a bit big. I wear a Italian made  Triumph 44 that fits great and my SIDI 44 required double socks.
jdpower
« REPLY #5 on: 01/02/04 1450 Hours »

Mark,  I have the SIDI GT sympatex boots.  They are real similar to the On Roads as pictured above.  Regarding your trip.  If you are going to Hyder and not on up to the Haul road, you likely won't face any or much gravel or dirt stuff so you would mainly need waterproof boots for rain etc.  IMHO SIDI makes the best boots that I have used, but I sure haven't used a lot of other brands so couldn't comment on them i.e. Oxtar etc.

JDP
Anonymous
« REPLY #6 on: 01/02/04 1604 Hours »

I wear a 45 in Euro sizes (10.5 US) and could not get a good fit with SIDI.  I ended up with Technics that were supposed to be waterproof, but aren't.  

Has anyone tried any of the Alpinestars "waterproof" boots?
StromTrooper246
10/19/03 0316 Hours
Jupiter, FL
www Offline
« REPLY #7 on: 01/02/04 1656 Hours »

I have a pair of Alpinestars GPS that are falling apart after a year. The top edge of the boot has worn through and they are very uncomfortable to walk in. They are not the waterproof versions and you can tell with even the slightest amount of water.

Steve

Stephen Grasso
Co-host
Cafe Racer Podcast
johnofchar
Deceased VSRI Administrator
Former Member
10/19/03 1511 Hours

SV-Strom & K9 ABS Wee
Charleston SC USA
« REPLY #8 on: 01/02/04 1728 Hours »

The Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex boot is very comfortable and waterproof. The price isn't high either. However, after 1 1/2 years and approx 25000 miles the shifter pad whore through, it's made of a thin leather, and it wasn't waterproof anymore. But I bought another pair because everything else was just right. I guess I can afford a new pair of boots every 18 months or so.  Shocked  

http://www.newenough.com/oxtar_matrix_goretex_boots_page.htm

jw

“Most of the stuff people worry about, ain't never gonna happen anyway.” 

Get your flags
elizilla
« REPLY #9 on: 01/03/04 0756 Hours »

I was wearing the Aerostich Combat Touring boots when I went to Alaska.  They're made by Sidi.  They look like a much plainer version of the Sidi Discovery boot pictured above, only with just one buckle.

I liked them a lot at first.  The brown rubber soles were nice, they grip the pavement well at stops.  They were highly protective and nicely tall, and I figured they'd break in and get more comfortable with time.

They never became comfortable, even after they lost their waterproofness, and they were hotter than hell.  I got heat rash on my feet and legs, and they made my feet look all bruised and broken.  My ankles itch just thinking about them.  Within two years, the waterproofness got so bad than 30 minutes of light rain would soak my toes, and then the boots wouldn't dry out for days.  And I was much less willing to put up with the discomfort once the boots stopped keeping water out.  

Finally I took a two week trip during which it rained every single day except the day it snowed.  The boots never got dry; I wore plastic bags inside to keep my socks dry.  The constant moisture did something to the leather inners of the boots, they cracked and made ridges that pressed into my feet, and the boots became unbearable.  I had to find emergency replacement boots in the middle of my trip.

The replacement boots are Daytona Gore-Tex.  These were stunningly expensive, but they were comfortable from day one, and two seasons later I'm still wearing them.  I wish they were taller, and they're looking a bit worse for wear, these days.  But they're not worn out yet, they are still keeping the water out, and they're still comfortable.

Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #10 on: 01/03/04 0829 Hours »

The Daytona Voyager was the testwinner at 2 independant German motorcycle magazines, "Motorrrad", and "Tourenfahrer".

It comes with comprehensive protection for front, side and rear, and it has a steel insert in the sole to prevent squashing of the front food. It is attributed to be quite comfortable despite all it's protective stuff. The Voyager comes with Gore Tex as GTX, or without as Sprint. They may also be interesting for people with oversize feet, as they come up to German size 49 (which I do not know what is it in US sizes).

Sidi, Oxtar, and what else is there are all made in Italy. I do not know if they are from the same production facilities, but it might be. Some features look similar. The Sidi have  very good reputation among German riders. Oxtar is the brand that BMW choose.

But the Daytona boots are top. The Voyager is not very high, wouldn't know if it is suitable for Alaska.

Made in Germany. Buy Daytona boots or the Held gloves, before they have finished the country. http://www.daytona.de/

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR
Anonymous
« REPLY #11 on: 01/03/04 1635 Hours »

I use Alpinestars now for about 4 years and they are great in comfort and waterproofness aswel.
I have a euro size 46 (us Size 11) and wear only extra socks during the winter periode.
Temperatures will be down here to -11c.
Anonymous
« REPLY #12 on: 01/17/04 1638 Hours »

I also bought the Aerostich Combat Boot. I thought it was just me, boots still haven't loosened up, makes shifting hard, really have to concentrate on bending foot down. I live in San Diego so don't have to worry about rain or snow but not happy to hear that they're not all that they are supposed to be!
Anonymous
« REPLY #13 on: 01/19/04 0053 Hours »

Motorcycle Consumer News rated the Oxtars tops a couple of years ago.  I got some then and I'm still wearing them.  They're comfortable enough so you can walk around your destination in them, and not have to take off boots and put on street shoes.  Absolutely waterproof, not gaudy.  A+ in my book.

Tom
'02 #932
Anonymous
« REPLY #14 on: 02/07/04 0003 Hours »

I bought a set of Sidi On Roads for my trip to Alaska on my klr last summer.
they are comforrtable and totally waterproof. I bought them when a friend told me they would be waterproof for my trip. he was correct, even an all day rain won't faze them.
zstrom
I Gotta Be "V"
10/20/03 0451 Hours

05 SV1000
Illinois, USA
« REPLY #15 on: 02/07/04 0407 Hours »

I had Sidi On-Roads for less than a year and the soles wore surprisingly fast. The good part was I sold them on Ebay for a decent price with worn soles and all.

"Support the country you live in or live in the country you support"
Anonymous
« REPLY #16 on: 02/07/04 1744 Hours »

I've used the Combat Touring Boot now for about 5 years.  Use for Dual Sport, touring or whatever and they have always been fully waterproof.   I do treat them with "greasy" type of waterproofing ointments a couple of times a year.

Joe in IL
elizilla
« REPLY #17 on: 02/08/04 0704 Hours »

Mine leaked like a sieve within two years, no matter how much greasy waterproofing I slathered on them.  But I put a lot of miles on in those two years, in a lot of weather.  
Anonymous
« REPLY #18 on: 02/08/04 1420 Hours »

I wear Danner Ft. Lewis boots. It's not a motorcycle boot but it's a great boot for motorcycling, especially if you have wide feet and like a lace up boot. They have excellent Vibram traction and have never leaked, even in all day frog stranglers. Huh?

Danner also does "recrafting" for $75. Riding a little over 15K miles a year, I recraft them every two years.
http://www.danner.com/categories.asp?catid=12
Anonymous
« REPLY #19 on: 02/10/04 0334 Hours »

There's another factor in boot choice that hasn't been addressed, and that's the grip of the sole on wet or oily surfaces.  I think that differs widely from boot to boot. One pair I own grips just fine in bad conditions, and the other pair is slippery in the same conditions.  (The Oxtars are the good'uns.)
Bareman03
Left handed hairlip
Former Member
10/19/03 0150 Hours

k3
Pollock Pines Ca.
« REPLY #20 on: 02/10/04 1209 Hours »

QUOTE BEGIN >>>Peter wrote on 03.01.2004 00:29[/i]

The Daytona Voyager was the testwinner at 2 independant German motorcycle magazines, "Motorrrad", and "Tourenfahrer".

It comes with 3 protectors for front, side and backside, has a steel insert in the sole to prevent squashing of the front food, and is attributed to be quite comfortable despite it's protective stuff. The Voyager comes with Gore Tex as GTX or without as Sprint. They may also be interesting for people with oversize feet, as they come up to German size 49 (which I do not know what is it in US sizes).

Sidi, Oxtar, and what else is there are all made in Italy. I do not know if they are the same company, but it might be. They feed different price segments, and localise the brand name so that many people believe it's home made. This is just for information, not saying their boots are bad. The Sidi have  very good reputation among German riders.

But the Daytonas are better. The Voyager is not very high, I can't say if that is suitable for Alaska. Made in Germany. Buy their boots and the Held gloves, before they have finished the country. http://www.daytona.de/

<p align="center"> </p><<< QUOTE END

Well you have that one right Pete the wife has had a pair of Daytonas for three years now and they fit her great and have performed flawlessly in all types of weather.They are expensive here in california but then again they are the best money can buy I believe she paid $215. She bought them mostly because Daytona is about the only co. to make boots that work for women with teeny little size 6/12 little girly feet. Me I've got a older pair of frank Thomas boots which were pretty damn good and still water proof. Last summer at Laguna I bought a pair of sidi sympatex evo's then had a extra sole of vibram fitted to them to help with the stroms height and also a vibram sole was less likely to slip, the sidi sole was a road race sole and was kinda slippery on the street & dirt, now their custom and sweet & reet !!!!    Bareman03   P.s yes I'm stylin & tabbed down to the bone or even past like the marrow daddy-o

"   Where's Tex ?? "
Anonymous
« REPLY #21 on: 02/26/04 1532 Hours »

I use these Daytonas. They are warm, almost to much, and Norway has not the warmest summers...

Waterproof? Yes My hardest test was 8 hours on racetrack in HARD rain. 4 hours on the track and 4 hours just standing/walking in the rain. completely dry!
Anonymous
« REPLY #22 on: 04/14/04 0010 Hours »

QUOTE BEGIN >>> Roger Zawacki wrote on 06.02.2004 22:07[/i]

I had Sidi On-Roads for less than a year and the soles wore surprisingly fast. The good part was I sold them on Ebay for a decent price with worn soles and all. <<< QUOTE END

I run through a set of On Road soles about every two years. SIDI will resole them for $50, and the boots come back looking like new.
Anonymous
« REPLY #23 on: 04/14/04 0245 Hours »

QUOTE BEGIN >>> TexasRider wrote on 13.04.2004 17:10[/i]

QUOTE BEGIN >>> Roger Zawacki wrote on 06.02.2004 22:07[/i]

I had Sidi On-Roads for less than a year and the soles wore surprisingly fast. The good part was I sold them on Ebay for a decent price with worn soles and all. <<< QUOTE END

I run through a set of On Road soles about every two years. SIDI will resole them for $50, and the boots come back looking like new. <<< QUOTE END

I have over 90,000 miles on a pair of Sidi On Roads and the soles are fine. What am I doing wrong? Uh... How do you wear the soles out on a motorcycle other than beveling the outer edges in corners?
Anonymous
« REPLY #24 on: 04/14/04 0410 Hours »

I think you just answered your question. I also recommend the BMW boots which I found very comfortable to walk in also.

Bill
Vaughn
« REPLY #25 on: 04/29/05 2002 Hours »

I recommend leather and gore-tex, Vibram sole, top notch hiking boots.  They're great if you like to get off the bike and hike.  I wear Asolo goretex boots ($200), with OutdoorResearch (OR) gore-tex gators in the wet or rain.  Totally versatile, protective, and functional in any climate.  They are very comfortable, too.

Anyone reviewing their boots should include walking/hiking comfort, in my opinion.  One of the best things about the V-Strom is riding into some remote location, and then hiking around when you get there.
pilgrim
« REPLY #26 on: 01/22/06 0245 Hours »

Folks . Following up on the recommendations from several of you on the forum for comfortable, waterproof boots, I am now a proud owner of Daytona Road Star GTX boots. They feel really comfortable and have velcro to adjust calf size. I don't pick up my new DL1000K6 until March but I'm putting a lot of miles on the boots around the house  Tongue  and pretending.

For comparisons sake they cost $400Cdn from a local dealer.
Anonymous
« REPLY #27 on: 01/22/06 0517 Hours »

Man, do I feel like a bumpkin with all this talk of Daytonas, Sidis, Alpine Star etc.

Daily riding is done in Red Wings - 3 years now and I'll buy another pair when these go, if they ever do.

If it's cold or wet my Irish Setter hunting boots do just fine - 1400g of Thinsulate does the job sittin' up in a tree, and the waterproofing make 'em just fine for the bike too.

Peter
Candyman
10/12/03 1453 Hours

DL1000K2 (sold)
Singapore
www Offline
« REPLY #28 on: 01/22/06 0534 Hours »

Billy, once you had a pair of quality motorcycle boots, you will never go back.

Peter
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISIONS SHOULD GO TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR
Anonymous
« REPLY #29 on: 01/27/06 2319 Hours »

I used Daytona Evo Sports for a long time. But they are roadracing boots and not waterproof and very slippery. I felt like I was going to drop my bike in the garage on the damp smooth concrete while wearing the Evos. A great boot for track days and sportbike riding but not for Stromming. The last straw was coming home with soaked cold feet after an all day wet ride. Never again! I am now using the Sidi Discovery boots and they are great. I did a very wet ride last weekend and they did not leak. I have to add that I also treated the leather with boot wax for cross country ski boots. I bought this stuff in 1982 so its a little old but it still seemed OK! I doubt they even use leather for ski boots of any type anymore...I figured a little extra treatment couldn't hurt.
Pages: 1 2 » |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013