V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 1312 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: JC Whitney Top Case on DL1000?  (Read 2956 times)
redlightklondike
« on: 07/14/08 0742 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

Hey gang.  I just bought myself a lovely used DL1000K5.  I immediately ordered the JC Whitney top case, but the previous owner warned me that there might not be enough room under the rear rack to mount the plate.  

Has anyone found a good, reasonable solution to this problem?

Sorry in advance if this was already answered, but I couldn't find it using the search function.

rlk

tb692
« REPLY #1 on: 07/15/08 0048 Hours »

Hi,
Welcome to the board.
You can fit the topcase but you have to modify the mounting plate.
I did the same thing back in April, it didn't take me long at all, I just used a drill and some hand tools.
There are several threads on this.

Here's probably the best link, a member detailed how he mounted his, with pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckdd/JCWCaseInstall

Here are two more threads that may help:

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=108770128619&search=whitney

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=108771016319&search=whitney

Good luck and enjoy the bike.
redlightklondike
« REPLY #2 on: 07/28/08 0548 Hours »

I bought the JC Whitney case easily mounted it with some relatively simple modifications.

First, I bought two bolts for the rear rack that were one inch longer than the stock ones.

Then I drilled two holes in the mounting plate where the bolts would go through.

The bolts screwed right into the stock holes, which are in the sub-frame.

That's it!  Two bolts and it's as solid as a rock.  All I needed were longer bolts, washers, a drill, and a hammer.

rlk
Advertisement

Lee
« REPLY #3 on: 09/15/08 2359 Hours »

Saw the posts and ordered the Large JC Whitnet case.  It was back ordered and since I have 0 patience, I canceled and ordered the medium.  The post to install worked great.  Loved the case, but wanted just a bit more room.  6 weeks later I buy the large.  Universal mounting plate, so I figure, detach medium, pop on large.  No dice.  The universal plate has wider mounts for the large trunk. Another install.  Medium case now on Detroit Craigslist.
Rainier_Tom
05/09/07 0136 Hours
Rainier, Orygun
« REPLY #4 on: 09/16/08 0258 Hours »

A word of warning about the JCW top case. I had one on my Vee and it is now on my KLR650. Every double cut key that I have that will fit in the JCW top case key slot (Givi key, KLR650 ignition key and my DL1000 ignition key....amongst others)...will open the JCW top box. Not very secure.

'06 KLR650
'06 DL1000 Vee Strom
'05 VTX1300R....Gone
flbchbm
« REPLY #5 on: 09/23/08 1720 Hours »

I too, bought the large case and once I saw the crappy metal base, I bought the Givi plate and the ONLY mod I had to make was ever-so-slight cuts of the plastic on the bottom grooves of the case (on the inboard edges if I remember correctly) and it fit perfectly.  I mean slight.  You could probably sand it with an emory board from the wife.  I load that mother down, ride aggresively and it has not gone ANYWHERE, except where I go.

Yes, the lock is a piece of crap.  You can get another "cam" lock for $10, but you have to use a dremel to cut down the inside plastic for it to fit securely.  You can put pretty much any lock that is long enough, but the case is only as strong as the environment it is in.  (brightly lit parking, safe.  Dark parking lot, broken into case, etc.)
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013