V-Strom Riders International
04/16/24 1844 Hours

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: For login problems please contact admin - motorcycle@vssupportqueue.com
Advanced search  
  Pages: 1 |   Go to Bottom of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Author Topic: How I installed Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn  (Read 8547 times)
gbrckly
« on: 11/04/08 1406 Hours »
| All unread Move to top Move to bottom  

There are no doubt other ways to mount your Stebel, but this is how I did it. After much chin rubbing and head scratching I installed mine under the left side front cowling, out of the weather, tucked into the side fairing pocket, secured with a metal strip bent into an “L” shape.  It’s a very secure installation, last thing you want is it coming loose and fouling the steering. You can get the fixing strip at most hardware stores, I had two handy pieces in the tool box and bolted them together to get the length I needed, but one single piece is all you need. It’s important to have the unit upright with the connectors facing down, seems if it’s mounted over 15 degrees either side of vertical it wont last more than a couple of months before failing. One end bolted to the unit and the other end bolted onto the convenient hole at the end of the fuel tank. Fastening this end is a bit tricky, but if you slacken the left fairing you can get a long socket extension inside to tighten the nut and it’s a breeze. To get at the stock horn connectors you need to slacken the radiator fixings and swing the radiator forward, I disconnected the two black plastic connectors from the horn and pulled the wires to the left side. The wires will drop down far enough to let you connect the wires that go to the relay (pins 85 & 86). It doesn’t matter which way round you connect these. I used two male spade ends to make the joins. I left the stock horn in place, no point removing it really. I mounted the relay under the seat with another piece of strip and wired it as the pictures show, with a 15 amp in-line fuse to the positive battery terminal. I ignored the tiny diagram that came with the unit and instead used a wiring diagram I found on the internet, it was a lot more straightforward. That’s it…took me a couple of hours, but most of that was head scratching…hope this helps anybody fitting a Stebel. Huh?

kava
09/28/10 0052 Hours
« REPLY #1 on: 09/28/10 0055 Hours »

I chose to install mine on the outside right rather than under the fairing. your schema of the wiring was very helpfull as i didnt want to ground to the frame.
ianbh
09/15/10 1153 Hours
2007 Wee
Iowa
« REPLY #2 on: 10/13/10 0227 Hours »

NG here, just a couple of questions:
Was this on a 1000 or a 650?
Looking at your pictures, it looks like you attached the fabricated bracket to the INSIDE(?) of the U-shaped piece on the gas tank that wraps around the rubber piece on the frame (kind of clumsy wording, hope you know what I mean)?
TIA Ian, Iowa
« Last Edit: 10/13/10 0231 Hours by ianbh » Logged
Advertisement

bronkin
11/02/06 0153 Hours

DL-1000K7
Indianapolis, IN
« REPLY #3 on: 10/14/10 0325 Hours »

I installed mine like Kava. After some miles I had some intermittent problems with the horn. I ended up using a zip tie to hold it tight top to bottom and have never had any problems since over 20,000 plus miles.
Pages: 1 |  Go to Top of page
EMAIL THIS TOPIC | PRINT
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS   
Copyright V-Strom Riders International 2003-2013